UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Replacing plasterboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Lectrician

I have some tiles ready to fit soon, and will be stripping the current tiles shortly.

I have already removed a couple to see the state of the walls, and I would think by the time the tiles are down the internal two plasterboard walls will be in a poor state. I will likely pull it off and refit.......but with what?

Some say concrete board, some say plywood, some say moisture resistant plasterboard. And then what prep to the board (if any) before tiling.

The tiles are fairly heavy (they are actually floor tiles), so am thinking something stronger will be better on these stud walls.

the outer walls are breeze block, render and skim coat. The skim coat is quote loose and I reckon I can pop the lot from the render easily. If the render is clean and rough, I am assuming this may be a better substrate than a skim coat?

What advice can you give regarding the prep to these walls?

Thanks muchly!

Martin.

R

retirementdiyer

Hi Martin,

I am not a pro but look into Marmox. I just did my bathroom and in the same situation hacked back all plaster to dry line (with mechanical fixing) with Marmox. I chose this because of thermal rating, sound insulation and ease of use due to weight of product. I was only looking for support of 25 kg per sq m but I remember the suppliers tech advice as being something rediculously greater.

L

Lectrician

Hi.

Thanks for the replies.

Is the hardie-backer the same stuff as they do in Wickes? Not had chance to pop into the local merchants yet while dotting between jobs!

The tiles are standard Ceramic tiles according to the packaging, just under 1m sq per box I reckon, 16kg per box.

Does the hardie-backer or Marmox board go directly onto the stud wall, or over the top of plasterboard?

Thanks.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Replacing plasterboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views
Hi all - I have some small format ceramic tiles (10x10x1cm) to use as a splash back around the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.