Discuss Restoring a Travertine floor - your help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob 192

I am new here and I am hoping some of you knowledgable folk can help with my problem.

I laid a Travertine floor in our kitchen 3 years ago which until recently looked superb.

Unfortunately about 6 months ago my wife had a little accident and managed to drop a bottle of Jif lemon juice on it. This imediately started fizing and was obviously reacting with the limestone, we washed it down with clean water, but straightaway, you could see the outline of the spillage, where it appeared to have lightly etched the surface. After about a couple of weeks, the area was already begining to discolour, so I gave it a thorough scrub and once dry, I re-sealed it with the original sealer (Tops Tiles, Travertine sealer).

A month or so later, the area began to stain and is now a darker colour than the surrounding floor.

I think I need to do a full restoration of the floor and re-hone the surface as appropriate. Can anyone explain the process and the materials needed - I am extremely practical and have no concerns about doing this myself if I can just be steered in the right direction.

Also, what sealers should I use on completion, I suspect the one I used originally was of fairly poor quality (Tops Tiles)

I attach a photo showing the problem DSCN0605.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob 192

Guys, thanks for the quick response. Silly as it may sound, I hadn't actually considered replacing any tiles - the stain actually extends to about 5 tiles, but even so, it may be easier to do this than prat around trying to clean and re-hone the surface.

Assuming I do this, it would be good to clean off the remaining floor and start again with the sealing - is there a product suitable to clean off the original sealer.

Rob

D

DHTiling

Just a reply to an above comment first, if stone is sealed properly you do not have to keep sealing it regularly, just thought I would point that out.

The etching you have could be
Corrected to blend a lot better than it is now,resurfacing might work and would be my first thing to do before tile replacement

You only need to so that one tile ,unless the floor is looking tired,then you could do a full clean

This is not a DIY process IMO , so do be careful

R

Rob 192

Dave

It's probably not aparent from the photo, but the stain extends to the tiles above and to the left the one which looks worst affected and there are splashes on about another 4 tiles.

When you say a full clean is not a DIY process, could you say why? As I said, I'm very practical, being in the building trade and can turn my hand to most things. I just need pointing in the right direction, can someone take me through the process. Thanks.

R

E

enduro

Test your cleaner on a tile first to make sure it is suitable. First you need to sweep or vacuum the floor. Mix the cleaner with hot water to the right dilution rate (adding more cleaner than they say will not clean it any better) Then apply the cleaner to the stone with a mop and agitate with a rotary scrubber and leave to dwell on the floor for around 10-15 mins, now scrub the grout joints with a grout brush. Then remove the cleaner from the floor with a wet vac and rinse the floor with water to remove any cleaner residue. Depending on the soiling two cleans may have to be done. Then wait 24hrs for floor to be totally dry before applying any sealer...There you go a quick version of how to clean your floor.

Reply to Restoring a Travertine floor - your help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Hi guys, Please help me. Really having a nightmare here. Just moved into a new house and the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Restoring a Travertine floor - your help please
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.