Discuss Rip out bathroom, replace & re tile quote help please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

infidel

What might people charge for the following job.

-Rip out bath, basin, toilet
-Remove tiles 10 sq m
-Fit new shower tray (different position than existing waste etc), new basin (different position) & new toilet (re position)
-Run new pipework for shower, basin, toilet
-Tank shower area
-Fit new ceramic tiles to wall 13 sq m (1 window)
-Fit new electric shower to existing water & electric supply
-Adhesive, grout, tanking supplied by me

Any help appreciated:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1779

My mate Andy Alpin (AJP Property Development) charges a flat fee £5000 for a job like that. He quotes his own labour rate at £250 a day and has a polish worker that he pays £100 a day for the donkey work.

One week job
5 x £250 = £1250
5 x £100 = £500
1 x skip = £120
1 x Bal tanking kit
1 x adhesive
1 x grout
The customer has a limited choice of basics from the bath store of:
1 x shower
1 x loo
1 x bath
10 square meters of tiles @ Budget of £40psm (£400)
He supplies Accessories like polyplumb, valves, wire, lights, plaster, boards, All fitted with everything working and tested. Includes removal of all waste via the skip.

Lots of happy customers.. He actually has about two or three projects on the go and uses cheap labour onsite to do most of the clearance work and setting up / tiling cuts etc.

He moves from one job to the other. Does a lot of quotation work during the day. But then again I guess he sees himself as multitrade and of course he is London based.

S

sibs

What are all these new regs I keep hearing about? What does this mean? I did a tiling course last september which included a short course on plumbing - enough to teach me the basics of water plumbing and to deal with changing a bathroom suite altering existing pipework - pipe bending - soldering - compression joints - push fit - waste systems -taking radiators off - we looked at different types of central heating although I consider this just an overview to give an idea of how they work. I have certificates for my tiling and plumbing and this training company is recognised by the TTA . So although I don't have government recognised qualifications (NVQ/C&G) the training was very comprehensive. I know this hasn't made a plumber out of me - I wouldn't be so naive as to call myself one but I can deal with "wet" plumbing. If I were to change someones bathroom suite which involved altering some pipework would I be breaking the law?
Can anyone explain ?

F

frogeye

Hi
Part P regs for electrics means that the diyer can only do limited work in his own house, anyone doing trade work must have certificate for part P, I think the same goes for installing chimney flues (part H?) then there is Corgi registered for gas. It seems that anything that has the potential to cause harm, fumes or electrics etc are covered.

Just waiting for the working at height regs to stop you decorating your own home :furious3: Bloody nanny state.

Apart from drowning in a flooding bathroom maybe we are safe to work on bathrooms - for now. But I don't know

frogeye

T

tabs

Aa
Hi
Part P regs for electrics means that the diyer can only do limited work in his own house, anyone doing trade work must have certificate for part P, I think the same goes for installing chimney flues (part H?) then there is Corgi registered for gas. It seems that anything that has the potential to cause harm, fumes or electrics etc are covered.

Just waiting for the working at height regs to stop you decorating your own home :furious3: Bloody nanny state.

Apart from drowning in a flooding bathroom maybe we are safe to work on bathrooms - for now. But I don't know

frogeye

Only corgi registered engineers with ccn1 and/or hr1 can install/work on flues.

G

GatesheadCol

Sibs Mate,

Replacing a shower like for like is fine if your a DIY'er and nothing against it.

However you may want to check as showers these days MUST be connected to an RCD. And the wire neededf for showers now is thicker than 10 years ago so the wire in there might not be thick enough.

An electrician would look at the job and using the new regs decide if the circuit needed upgrading etc.

Ideally it should be 10mm although apparently you an get away with 6mm if its plastered in but dont take my word for it.

Had a customer last week who had replaced a shower that had been in 20 years or so.

Burnt the wire through the wall and fried the circuit board.

The wire was socket wire!!

Just a few thoughts to bear in mind.

G

GatesheadCol

You might find this useful Sibs mate.

You will know if its 10mm wire cos its like trying to bend steel!!

If its not 10 mm wire and the shower is above 7.5kw it should have the wire upgraded. And lets face it, there arent many showers out there less than 7.5kw these days.

If in doubt calll someone out. Cos the buck and liability will stop with you.

Typical cable sizes and protection device for different sized showers are:
Maximum Shower Rating (kW)Maximum load (A) Recommended Minimum Cable Size
(Twin core and earth mm²) Maximum size of Protective Device (A) 6.0 26 6 32 6.5 29 6 32 7.0 31 6 32 7.5 33 10 40 8.0 35 10 40 8.5 37 10 40 9.0 39 10 40 9.5 42 10 4510.0 44 10 4510.5 46 16 5011.0 48 16 50

Sorry table hasnt worked use the link instead
http://www.diydata.com/plumbing/showers/electric_shower.php

F

frogeye

My brother and I rewired my house 15 years ago, all to regs and it was accepted. I am now limited to adding a spur, changing a socket and few other bits and bobs. I was only aware that you couldn't diy a wood burner and a flue when I looked into getting one - didn't know you had to be Corgi too!

I too would urge a note of caution on installing one of the new high power showers to old wiring. I think you could argue ( how well I don't know) that it was okay to fit a shower in your own home to old wiring, but I don't see the coroner buying it if a job for a paying customer goes wrong.

In my previous job I witnessed the outcome of some diy efforts often with tragic results

I can see the need to clamp down on some areas of diy if it's a safety matter, but as I said earlier. the minute they bring in H & S working at height regs for private dwellings will be a move to far.
Mind you I bet old Rod Hull wished it had been illegal to climb a ladder above 10' - poor old Emu.

frogeye

T

tabs

To work/install wood burning stoves and flues the regulatry body is HETAS.

New Bathroom installations are notifiable under building regs not that many do notify!

Also with regard to the shower , I would not touch it with a barge pole . I have part p limited scope so technically am qualified to do it but officially I am not as I haven't spent the £500 on meters to test out and extra subs to corgi or niceic to get registered. The point is it might be easy to wire up to whats there but even if its 10mm you probably don't know how or have the equiipment to test the wiring which has to be done - eg: impedance, reverse polarity etc etc. Leave it well alone mate.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Rip out bathroom, replace & re tile quote help please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first post so here goes, advice needed. It was decided that I should renovate...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Thank you for allowing me to join the forum. I'm replacing the toilet hand basin...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB