Discuss Ripping up a floor dilemma in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MikeW

Why don't you take a couple of pictures of the whole space involved, add to that a diagram of your new kitchen layout and upload it here. Who knows some of the budding designer types here may see a solution you can't at the moment. Fresh eyes and all that! :)

At the moment the kitchen units are still in situ so you wouldn't benefit from the photos but it's definitely a good idea and will probably do it once I'm at that stage. There are 101 other jobs to do in the meantime but I'm thinking well ahead with the floor as I know it will become a major snag if I'm not ready by the time I'm ready to get moving on it.

M

MikeW

Note that for kitchens to be used commercially they need to use epoxy grout on walls and floors. Because bacteria can't settle in it. Tile choice becomes limited too usually.

I suppose it depends on what it's actually being used for to class it as commercial use but worth checking maybe.

I spoke to the local EHO a while ago and he said the requirements for home commercial kitchens are a bit more relaxed than say if it was a restaurant or pub so I doubt they would be that bothered but I will by all means look into it. Thanks

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I spoke to the local EHO a while ago and he said the requirements for home commercial kitchens are a bit more relaxed than say if it was a restaurant or pub so I doubt they would be that bothered but I will by all means look into it. Thanks
If you're selling a product to the public, you need to comply with food standards. Just the same as a 5 star restraunte.

And if the council get a phone call to ask what your food standards rating is, they will inspect and give it one.

A lady got clocked not long ago for selling battery chicken eggs as free range via a honest box. The food never even entered the kitchen but her kitchen got inspected.

M

MikeW

Sounds a bit extreme regarding the egg lady. I think by all accounts different local authorities have different views. I'd heard things like, you can't have a washing machine in a commercial kitchen...You must have two sinks, one for food prep, one for hand washing...You must have seperate fridges. One for catering, one for your own use...

When I asked the EHO, his opinion was that they understood that such demands were a bit unreasonable for small, occasional home caterers and so long as cleanliness was up to scratch and records i.e. fridge temperatures etc being kept they would be happy. Those were his words but I will certainly double check regarding grout and tiles.

Reply to Ripping up a floor dilemma in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
We're quoting to rip up and replace a tiled floor with Limestone tiles. I'm looking for advice...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Ripping up a floor dilemma
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Australia Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond