Discuss Rubi all the way or time for a change?? in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

Measuring bars may be accurate if both marks are the same measurement - I tend to always use two marks, and align the cutting wheel, and I prefer to use the tile to get the most accurate measurements, not a ruler/tape measure. So being able to see the marks correctly aligned to the wheel imho is the best practice.

I have done that for a long time with the two marks on the tile but believe me when I say it's faster easier and just as accurate measuring with a tape then cutting the tile on sigma without marking it.

Somerset
I have done that for a long time with the two marks on the tile but believe me when I say it's faster easier and just as accurate measuring with a tape then cutting the tile on sigma without marking it.
...And as I remember it, that led to a very heated discussion the last time such a thread was raised. I do use a measuring tape in some circumstances, but I find they simply don't last very long. You are talking about cutting where one measure can be used - but probably 50% of all manual cuts I do require two measures of different sizes to make a close fit.

I appreciate the strength of adoration for Sigma cutters on this forum, but I have met a lot of tilers who simply believe Rubi is still best for them. I met one tiler from the north-east who had been tiling for about 45 years, and who seemed to have his entire kit from Rubi. I am not a Rubi obsessive, but I do find their cutters work well for me, allowing me to produce quicker, more consistent cuts than a Sigma. Of course if Sigma start marketing a twin rail cutter, then I will give that a try.

F

Flintstone

Oh Andy. I've had rubi cutters from the day I started tiling many years ago and I'm not going to slate them, I still use the ts40 regularly but with the larger size tiles, 600x300 and above, rubi just isn't man enough. Sigma just eats the cuts up. Once your used to it you can measure the cut, say it's 80mm one end and 85 the other end. Get your tile on the sigma to 80mm then move the other end over by 5mm, job done!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Rubi all the way or time for a change?? in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
It's been a while since my last tiling job. We finished a kitchen renovation some time ago and...
Replies
Views
L
Thinking of buying a new 1200mm cutter Sigma or Rubi? I already own one of each like them both...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
T
Time for me to stop lurking and pipe up, albeit ask for advice and opinions LoL! I'm a DIYer...
Replies
Views
J
So I've had my 1200 for a while now and it's done 5-600 cuts, mainly travertine, 610 x 405 x...
Replies
Views
Jelthetiler
J

Tiling Tool Popular Threads

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the Tiling Tools category on TilersForums.com. Find the correct trowels to use with which type of tiling. Find advice on lash clips and levelling systems and more. Our rubi tiling tools and Tile cutters. Sigma tiling tool manufacturer and much much more.