Guest viewing is limited

Tiling Tool Suppliers

We recommend a couple of the best tiling tool suppliers, Pro Tiler Tools and Trade Tiler

Both supply the best tiling tool supplies, cutter makes, tile trims etc.

Discuss Rubi tile cutter in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

andy-p

TF
Arms
Hi Im new to the forum today, so hi to everyone, my wife is ready to start the tiling in our bathroom, we have bought tiles from Tubs and Tiles in Telford they are 600mm ceramic, she needs a tile cutter, so what rubi would you suggest for her, ive heard these are the best tile cutters, or what other tile cutter would you suggest ? any sites with your suggestions would be appreciated. regards Kanhatiger
I would recommend you buy a rubi cutter , they are easier for diyers to use than other makes like sigma's why there are even some limp wristed professionals on this site who shall remain nameless who cant use em :lol: no seriously joking aside i think you would be better off with a rubi... :thumbsup:

G

Gall.B

has anyone used the Rubi star 60n plus, i think judging by the write ups, its at the top of the DIYers Tools

Sigmas are far superior imho, the rubi star is a DIY cutter and a bit flimsy, used Sigmas all my career and have been trying out Montolit and Tomecanic recently also tried rubi a few times, Tomecanic is the only machine that comes close, that being said see what ebay turns up might get yourself a bargain on any of the 2

Few guys on here rate the big clinker cheap to buy?

K

kanhatiger

Sigmas are far superior imho, the rubi star is a DIY cutter and a bit flimsy, used Sigmas all my career and have been trying out Montolit and Tomecanic recently also tried rubi a few times, Tomecanic is the only machine that comes close, that being said see what ebay turns up might get yourself a bargain on any of the 2
Few guys on here rate the big clinker cheap to buy?

Thanks took a look at those machines, and asked the question about the buy it now one if it would cut the 600 mm ceramic, thanks for your input..yet another machine i had not heard of..

Somerset
Welcome Kanhatiger - interesting post, but then most tilers love their cutters more than their wives.......

Anyway.

If you are going to tile professionally, then you do need a cutter that is not only capable of superbly smooth, accurate cuts, but can take a hammering and still work perfectly, and can be readily repaired (easily available spare parts) when necessary. In a nutshell, that is what makes the upper range of Rubi, Sigma and Montolit cutters so popular with us. Cheaper manual tile cutters tend to use more plastic components in place of metal (e.g. base for cutting tile on) and if they break have to be replaced (spare parts noit readily available). But if you are only going to tile your own home, then this starts to make a lot of sense. Why spend over £300 on a cutter if you can get just as good a result from one costing under £100? The same goes for wet cutters - many tile professionals now use cheap plasplugs wet cutters, because they cost less than £50, compared to over £400 for a professional metal bodied one - and if the plasplugs cheapie breaks after 2 jobs, you just cost £25 into the next job....

So I often recommend friends who want a cheap manual cutter that is reasonably robust to look at the Genesis Super Pro 600 which can be bought for under £90 and is capable of cleanly cutting 600mm porcelain. And the big bonus is that the Rubi TS cutting wheels fit this cutter and can be used to extend its capabilities for very little extra cost.

K

kanhatiger

Welcome Kanhatiger - interesting post, but then most tilers love their cutters more than their wives.......

Anyway.

If you are going to tile professionally, then you do need a cutter that is not only capable of superbly smooth, accurate cuts, but can take a hammering and still work perfectly, and can be readily repaired (easily available spare parts) when necessary. In a nutshell, that is what makes the upper range of Rubi, Sigma and Montolit cutters so popular with us. Cheaper manual tile cutters tend to use more plastic components in place of metal (e.g. base for cutting tile on) and if they break have to be replaced (spare parts noit readily available). But if you are only going to tile your own home, then this starts to make a lot of sense. Why spend over £300 on a cutter if you can get just as good a result from one costing under £100? The same goes for wet cutters - many tile professionals now use cheap plasplugs wet cutters, because they cost less than £50, compared to over £400 for a professional metal bodied one - and if the plasplugs cheapie breaks after 2 jobs, you just cost £25 into the next job....

So I often recommend friends who want a cheap manual cutter that is reasonably robust to look at the Genesis Super Pro 600 which can be bought for under £90 and is capable of cleanly cutting 600mm porcelain. And the big bonus is that the Rubi TS cutting wheels fit this cutter and can be used to extend its capabilities for very little extra cost.
Managed to get one Andy, Genisis super pro 600 with a rubi 10mm wheel for just £55.00 delivered..so well happy. hope the wife likes it..will let you know how we get on with it, and hopfully post a picture or 2 of the bathroom when shes finished..thanks again for the help and info

Reply to Rubi tile cutter in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I need a tile cutter gor 600x600 Italian porcelain and am close to pulling the trigger on the...
Replies
Views
HI FOLKS. LOOKING TO EXPAND ON MY TILING TOOLS AND INVEST IN A WET TILE CUTTER. WITH SO MANY...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've just bought a montolit minipiuma and noticed the rail is quite stiff. Does...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. Tiling my bathroom first time and going well so far! 600x300 ceramics on walls and...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Rubi tile cutter
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters)
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Kerakoll

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Ardex

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Mapei

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Ultra Tile

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • BAL

Votes: 27 31.0%