Discuss sandy26 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

Hi Sandy and welcome to the forum.

Is this plywood the original base for the table? if so it might be damaged from wind/water etc so I would replace it and start from new using a different base. Plywood is not a brilliant surface to tile onto so use something that is 100% waterproof. For around £15 you could get a piece of aqua panel that will be a much better surface for your tiles. I am presuming that the base fits into the table top and hides the edges?

Can you post a picture of the table?

:thumbsup:

R

Rich

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Diamond has said it all really, ply is horrid stuff especially outside where it is exposed to the elements. If you can still make it look neat, you need a cement board instead of ply. Ply will swell and contract with heat/moisture and this will cause the Bond between the tiles and the board to be broken, a cement board will not swell or be affected by the weather.

S

sandy26

GEDC0480.jpg the original top was glass which broke last week in the wind and as the table is only a year old i didnt fancy buying a new one so came up with the idea of tiling the top. not being familiar with differnt surfaces for tiling ont we thought ply would be best but it is proving not to be this is the result of half a days work !! :-(
where would i buy the aqua panel?
Thanks for your help

D

diamondtiling

Sandy, you can buy aqua panels at Wickes or B&Q. Cutting it to fit those curves is not difficult if you use an electric jig saw although it is brittle. An alternative could be a thinner ply with a 6mm piece of hardie backer board glued and screwed to it. Your local tile giant would have the backer board.
Use a mask when cutting as they contain silica.

If you are going to fit mosaic tiles then use a 3mm spreader, also use a bagged adhesive and a bagged grout, silicone around the perimeter as the grout will probably crack in that area.

Any more questions just ask away.

:thumbsup:

Reply to sandy26 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
sandy26
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.