Discuss Saving and restoring small black and white Victorian floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

Hi,
I have just bought a 1930's house and uncovered some small (2-3 inch square) black and white tiles. These extend partly into the kitchen, cover a small section of the hallway, and also half cover the downstairs toilet!!!....:confused:.......I assume the rooms have been moved around at some point!

I am toying with saving those on the kitchen floor (I am laying a new slate floor there) and completing the toilet floor (which is half screeded). Gotta say it's not a job I am particularly looking forward to but the end result will be good. I wish I had enough tiles to complete the hall floor but that's not possible unless the tiles are still available somewhere?!?

Has anyone tried saving these tiles before and,if so, are they fairly robust and therefore easy to remove from a floor or am I in for many long painstaking evenings??

All advice gratefully received

Cheers
Andy

Thanks for the responses guys.

Dave,
It is a thought. I have not yet decided which way I want to go as I have a huge amount of other work going on (rewire, plumbing etc) but I know I need to do some accurate measuring before progressing.

theyomper,

the tiles are pretty tightly knit and I think you're right in that they would be laid on/in a cement base. I've checked out the webpage before.....not yet looked into their prices though!

JEC
I'm not at the house tonight but I'll check them out tomorrow, along with measuring, and let you know more info.

Cheers lads

T

theyomper

With Original Style I tend to work out the pattern on graph paper to scale. The last one that I did was only an area of 6 m2 but had some 1800 individual tiles to make it up. As yours sounds straight forward, a checkerboard, I don't think it will be too expensive. If memory serves me correct then a 4 in x 4 in was around about 50 pence per tile. You buy them as individual tiles so wastage is miminal.

F

frogeye

Hi Andy

my house has a small minton entrance - and I mean small - if only they had laid the hall out I would be chuffed to bits.

I have just taken them up - they were laid on concrete, laid on shale/shingle.
Most of the tiles came up easily, but some insisted on bringing their substrate with them. I soaked them over night in soapy water and after spending 2 hours with my dremel and getting a diy version of white finger! ( painful) I used my bench grinder to clean the tiles up. Took a few hours for my small area - so be warned.

Some of the tiles that looked sound weren't and I will have to replace somehow, so allow for that.

I checked on new tiles and at £100 to £180m2 I decided to go with what I had - what ever I do it cant be much worse. But if it was a bigger area and the tiles had been more difficult to lift and clean - I would have considered new.

Will clean them tomorrow and lay on sat or Sunday

frogeye

ps - thank god for the spell checker after umpteen g&t's :8:

Sorry for the delay in replying.......not enough hours in the day what with working full time as well!

the tiles are 3inches square and approx half an inch thick.
I have been attempting to lift some of them but not all are coming out cleanly so I will try giving them a soak.
Some have been cemented over where a new floor was laid at some time so these are proving a little more problematic.

Have also checked my 'small' (read tiny) porch and found more there which appear to be in very good order so I may yet have enough

Watch this space!!:yes:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Saving and restoring small black and white Victorian floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I work in an architectural office and we completed an elementary school over the summer. We...
Replies
Views
B
Total newbie to tiling. How flat is flat with regards to a floor? I have a small downstairs...
Replies
Views
ben209384234
B
I have problem and would like some help or advice. We have a victorian home in Saint John NB...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
Hello, am trying to complete a Victorian tiled hallway (pic attached), loads of questions to...
Replies
Views
T
    • Winner
Victorian Geometric Hallway Flooring. Geometric Floor Tiling by Timeless Tiles John. Nothing...
Replies
Views
The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP
T

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB