Sbr

Search the forum,

Discuss Sbr in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

marky

Hi All
Its been a while just a quick one on SBR can I use as a primer on tile on tile,I tried it on a sample roughed up the tile did half in SBR and the other mixed with cement.I returned after 2hrs I wet me finger across the SBR it came live and peeled off,the other did scrap of but when wet did not move, they don't want the tiles off but doing the job for another tiler who has broke his arm,the tiles are fix on well as I have seen the job.I no after 25 yrs you think I would no lol but just making sure.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Well, if I was confident they where well stuck, I'd give them a quick once over with grinder and cupped wheel, then a quick wash with sugar soap. Then I'd mix up a slurry coat using primer mixed with cement adhesive and paint it on nice and thick. Then about an hour later I'd tile it.
Could have taken them off by then:sofahide:

I did a bathroom refix for a fried a couple of years ago, he wanted me to go over existing tiles, I said not good practice, they sounded / felt good, he insisted, I said ok, let's just try and take one or two off. I won't go into it too much, only to say that ALL four walls were stripped back to brick and a fresh canvas installed. No matter how good it looks / sounds or feels, if you didn't fix it don't fix to it PERIOD ( IMHO )

It also depends on the SBR, some manufacturers may water them down before packing them, others may sell the SBR neat.
Our Primeplus is an SBR, sold neat and our advice for tile on tile is to dilute primer 1:1 with water and then add approx. 30% adhesive to the primer to form a gritty primer / slurry. Apply a thin coat, it takes around an 60 - 90 minutes to cure. Works a treat!

Reply to Sbr in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement