Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Schluter now has a bench in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

Dave, for me the health issues are very real. That is a large reason behind why I almost never use cement board.

One consideration for me is that my two employees were drywall finishers and painters by trade before I hired them, and if this Kerdi board gets so expensive then I'll stick with the less espensive option of being able to pay them to hang drywall and then install the Kerdi fabric. If the job stays the same price but more of the money goes into labor for the men then that for me is the better alternative.

We'll see what is a good choice once I know the pricing.

R

Rob Z

John, the ladies seem to like the corner ones so they can prop their foot on it while shaving their legs. You can figure an extra 2-3 hours of work with one of these prefab things, by the time you've installed it, waterproofed it, and dealt with the extra work of the cuts and angles. I know some guys are swinging for the fence on upgrades like this, but I take another approach and price it mid-range because I want the customer to have something that they will be sure to remember and maybe mention to a friend, neighbor, etc. I do the same thing with tanking the entire shower and selling epoxy grout-basic pricing that covers our labor but not trying to retire off of one job.

R

Rob Z

Mike this will be the thing for me, too. If the goal for the customer is to get a waterproofed shower, and let's say it cost $10 per square foot for labor and all materials (I'm just making that number up). I'm going to go with the combination of products and skilled labor that will MAXIMIZE the amount of labor in the job but still yield the same result (full waterproofing). I'd rather put the dollars in my employees' paychecks for their skilled labor rather than send it off to Germany to the folks at Schluter.

So, if Kerdi board crosses a certain threshold (which I don't know what that is yet), I will continue to install Kerdi fabric the old way and keep the pricing the same to the customer and retain some of the money for labor.

At > $4 per square foot, it would definately work out that I would continue paying my men to do the work rather than use Kerdi board.

C

CBTC

Rob, Dave - the lack of product performance information has caused a query to be raised by the architects where we are using it at the moment. Schluter requested to site visit.

Using it: It is certainly a lot less rigid like for like than say Wedi board and much much lighter - due to the lack of cementitious faces. Thats not neccesarilly a help though Ive found - apart from carrying it about.
I am wondering about the bond strength of the Kerdi to the foam core. What weight can it take. Interested in comments / observations from anyone who has used it..

The price of the stuff is frankly going to be an obstacle to wide spread use, it being about £10.00 per board more than the equiv Wedi !! Anyone with other price comparisons do let us all know.

Reply to Schluter now has a bench in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
L
Hello there. We've just bought our first home and having moved in last week, we are about to...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
The Schlüter Online Academy – the easy way of learning about the latest ideal solutions for the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Schluter now has a bench
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.