UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Screed drying. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

Another FACT??? Sorry to be blunt but That is complete rubbish dave. It is not a fact, it is not even accurate.I have spent ten years talking to manufacturers about products to go over gyvlon screeds. I cannot force anyone to listen to me or my company. At the end of the day Gyvlon is suitable to accept ay floor coverings currently available in the uk market. And if it is dealt with correctly there is no reason to expect any issues. It is not up to us to test other people's products for them to ensure compatibility or robustness. That is their job. We will and have in the past done such tests and will continue to do somfor our own knowledge but I would expect to be paid for such advice and testing were it to be done for commercial purposes. Manufacturers have their own test facilities so would not want to pay us for workmthey can do themselves. After all do you test the tiles that you lay for the tile manufacturer to make sure they will work, do you test the adhesives to make sure they are compatible with the tiles. I think not. And if you did you too wold want paying for the work.

There is a list of manufacturers who have systems available for use on Gyvlon Screeds on the Gyvlon website. These companies have all tested their systems on our screeds. New systmes are being developed and tested by manufacturers all the time. I can't see what more we would be legitimately ale to do.

One thing i do notice in the flooring community is heavy Brand Loyalty. Nothing wrong with that unless the brand you use does not have a material or system which works and can be demonstrated to work repeatedly and consistently. If tilers (generally) were more flexible in their approach to materials suppliers and rather than choosing the one they always use they went for the one that worked best then perhaps many of the perceived issues would disappear. Just like they did in France when recommending just gypsum adhesives became more the norm rather than the exception. Many of the tilers I have spoken to have taken a more pragmatic approach to tiling these screeds and have changed suppliers. This has reduced the issues they perceive very significantly.

Really pees me off when people say only the screeders benefit. That is complete tosh as well. I have listed some of the benefits earlier. Of course the screeders benefit. That is why they are in business. Who wants bad knees, elbows, back, neck etc etc from being on their hands and knees all day in bad conditions laying sand cement. stone age Screeding is not for me regardless of how good or bad I was at it. The industry recognises he impact of these materials on the human frame and is beginning to move away from the. There are massive benefits to all sorts of people. Ok as a tiler you might have to wait a little longer to get on with tiling. Why does that actually matter in the general scheme of things. Tthe environment wins, the client wins, the screeder wins, the tiler waits a bit longer but generally has a much flatter and predictable floor to tile on to so he wins as well. What more do you guys want??!

I began this thread in a bid to help and with the exception of a few sensible comments it turned into a rant about flowing screeds. A rant which does not even have any basis in fact.......water sensitive....what the heck does that mean. If you get water on gyvlon it gets wet. If you get water on sand cement it gets wet....what's the difference there. Pile of crap.....what sort of scientific analysis is that??!! America rejected these screeds, what rubbish. They have only just begun to use them and they are only available in a fraction of the country. Where they are available they are used widely and gaining ground against other methods.....bear in mind the screed make tin America is relatively small anyway. Risddled with issues....if this were the case why have they continued to sell well throughout the uk and Ireland as well as western europe for well over fifty years.

Please guys if you are going to argue do so with qualification and accuracy not with hearsay and gossip.

End of rant.....awaits the backlash.....

this is not the case Alan , you are a committed guy to your product ,but in my recent finding just looking for a solution of a material to overcome a builders ****-up ,i have found this to be the case, most product makers are only concerned with there own product and not what comes afterwards ,it's not there liability .....and in business peeps are only concerned with there own liability

A

Aston

Hmmm! Riddled with issues?? What issues?

hi al,
to say the screeds are 'riddled with issues' was over blown and unsubstantiated and i aopolgise for that lazy statement, the rest i really mean lol

seriously, i prefer trraditional screeds for various reasons but i will always be proactive to anything new and as much as i am not the biggest fan i recognise that it has its place in the market so i'll deal with it and accept it like all the other changes we've seen over the years.....but it doesnt mean i have to like it ;0)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I guess one of the things that I am picking up here is that flowing is relatively new to the domestic market. Up to about three years ago there were ony very few houses don in gyvlon primarily because it was sustained in large scale construction. We have seen a massive increase in the number of projects using gyvlon at the small end which is where many of you guys sit and so come across it more as a new product. You are rit there are a lot of fixers and builders who have never heard of it. It is however recognised as a modern method of construction and really does offer many more benefits than just being quick to lay. In smaller projects don't forget it is often more expensive than sand cement (not always) and realistically if a project is around 70square meters it won't save time on the installation either as a sand cement screeder will get that done in a day. Builders must see other benefits surely. I know I do. I shall be using gyvlon on my underfloor heating in the next couple of weeks in my living room remodel.

A

Aston

alan,
dont apologise, i think we have all gone off on one at some point on here. you're passionate at whatever you do and that is only ever a good thing.
we are lucky to have somebody like you in this field who educates & informs us so well, so just keep being you mate..

anyway, i'm off now because if my mrs has her way, i'll never be allowed to post on a tile forum again lol

ps good link to f.ball, interesting info!!

regards
ed

D

DHTiling

By the way. My apologies for going off on one. My mrs says I am a grumpy bleep today......

Nah, don't say sorry.. it's just some peeps need to educate themselves before spouting off.. how can you comment on a product you know naff all about and comments made prove that point.. go away and read up and study , tile to these screeds, experience in real life.. then come back and make comments..

Don't just spout away when you haven't even tiled/prepped or seen one ffs.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Alan, are these as good/accurate as the the hair ones..? and any idea on price... i have a few gyvlon floors this year and might get one or 2 of those..

I find They are accurate between about 70 and 85 rh which us the range we want to be in. They are temperature dependent and lose accuracy if very hot or very cold. They are not as good as an analogue hair hygrometer it at about 80 quid versus several hundred they are quite cheap.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

no mate your just very passionate about your products and want everyone els to be the same,:smilewinkgrin: but i think we all have different experiences under our belts and see it in a different light , i'am more of a screeder ,i have the bad knee to prove it as you said and even i can see these gypsum guys have the best end of the deal over the tilers who are left with all the prep and messing about to do ,maybe as someone said it should be down to the screeders to do the prep:thumbsup:

I

Ian

I've only had one anhydrite floor so far and once I had all the relevant information, I don't think it was any more difficult than a SC screed. Yes the cost is a little higher for materials and the prep is a little more time consuming but, so long as the clients are made aware of this from the start I can't see a great deal of difference. I do think that the clients need to be informed of the processes at the consultation stage, it seems that they are only told when the time comes to lay the floor covering. So to sum up, the screeding companies need to inform the clients better from the beginning so there are no surprises further down the line and tilers need to take the time to research the fixing methods and materials. Also, Alan is a wonderful resource available to us all and he is more than willing to help and advise, FREE OF CHARGE, use him and his knowledge and you can't go wrong.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

B

bugs183

I love these poured screeds to work on, and as Ajax says if you swap products and use the correct ones then you have no problems and have a lovely floor flat to work on. So long as the builder is aware of the initiall prep work then that should all be fine.
The only real concern is the drying issues. It is very rare for any builder have an underfloor heating system fired up before all the tiling is done. The floor would be pressure tested then screeded, but virtually none of them even have the boiler fitted at that stsge, let alone get the the heating commisioned, thereby not helping with the drying process.
We all have to tell our builders thats what needs to be done to dry the floor.
It's nice to know that hydrometer will do the job at arounf £80.00, well worth having.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Screed drying. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good afternoon, Does anyone have experience of using grooved dry screed boards? (Bonus points...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, We're having our downstairs tiles installed soon, about 82m2 of 1.2x1.2m square...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.