UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss sealing before or after (again) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike

I know we've had this topic before but i'd just like to ask your opinions again. last week i was laying a 15m2 jerusalem travertine floor and as i thought best (as recomended on here) i sealed after grouting so grout will adhere to unfilled holes/dents. guy from tile shop came with grout and recomended sealing first but i told him my reasons for not doing so. the floor looked stunning when finished with no discolouring of the tiles (was mapei limestone 299 btw) and the customer was made up but when i popped in the tile shop today the people there said that their sealant rep (they only sell lithofin) said they should always be sealed first as the grout will go into the pores of the tile. what do you think guys? is he talking tosh or does it not matter which way you do it? cheers:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

It does depend upon the stone and it does not hurt to seal first with any stone, but experience will learn you which ones that you can grout first, this in turn saves labour costs as you can grout without having to let sealer cure enough to act as a pre-seal..

You sure it wasn't limestone with the name being Jerusalem.? i know some comps name stones differently to others but that name is usually tagged to warm coloured limestones..

P

PHG Dave

Impregnating sealers, which are the main ones used on stone, do NOT stop grout (or adhesive come to that) from sticking to the stone.
They do reduce the absorbency of the stone giving you a chance to apply the grout and wipe off the excess from the surface before it dries on

Whether you have to seal before grouting depends on the stone being used and can vary considerably even within each type of stone, so make sure you try on a small area first if you are going to try grouting before sealing

The safest route is to seal first

P

PHG Dave

As per Dave's advice, I take each stone as it comes. I did, however, seal a honed sandstone the other day with LTP colour enhancer prior to grouting and the grout just popped out of the very few cavities that there were when I grouted, so there is never a right way or wrong way IMO.

Daz

did you just put on a light coat as colour intensifier can dry on the surface almost like a topical sealer if it doesn't soak in

P

PHG Dave

Hi Dave,

It was a thin coat and buffed off as per the instructions on the tin (after 15 - 30 mins IIRC), but that was enough to cause me grief. This is probably the first time I've experienced this issue but I thought it worth mentioning, given the balance of information on TF.

Daz

Cheers Daz, always good to hear everyone's experiences. Big believer that no-one knows everything and you are always learning

M

Mike

you're right dave, after checking, the floor is a limestone (jerusalem) customer told me it was trav, i have a small (i hope ) problem, whilst clearing my tools away 2 weeks ago i noticed 2 small areas with froth on them off the sealer, i obviously missed those 2 whilst drying off, they're about the size of a 50p. i wiped them off but they have stayed on the tile. will a limestone cleaner remove them then reseal? cheers

P

PHG Dave

sealant rep says seal first = more sealant used = more sales. simples. But every stone is different, so take each on their own merits.

with regard to the sealant residue, i'd use LTP Solvex to remove residues and re-seal the small area.:thumbsup:

Sometimes reps might be telling the truth (I know, difficult thing to believe :smilewinkgrin:)

That first coat before grouting is not a wasted coat, it is just the start of the sealing process
Whether you use it before or after grouting the amount of sealant required to fully seal a particular stone will not alter, it just makes your job of grouting easier if you put on a first coat before grouting.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to sealing before or after (again) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there First time poster - have had a tiler come and do our kitchen floor in terracotta...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I'm after some advice please. I've been tiling a few years but never even asked to do...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Hi , I am about to start my tiling project, it's quite large at 60m2. I have underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
Had wet system UFH installed on a concrete subfloor to the whole ground floor ie living room...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
sealing before or after (again)
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.