UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Sealing limestone question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all,

We had an outdoor limestone patio laid at the start of June (finished circa 07/06/24). We are yet to grout it. I'd like to seal it before doing so and I have bought Lithofin Stain stop. I have read a lot regarding its application however I have received conflicting information about when it is best to do so. I have been told that waiting to seal it doesn't matter/ we need to wait 13 weeks/ we need to wait a year to let it effloresce etc.

What is the general consensus regarding this?

Additionally, how long does it need to be completely dry before sealing it? Again I have read that 3 days is necessary but that's impossible at the moment with all of this rain!!

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

We had an outdoor limestone patio laid at the start of June (finished circa 07/06/24). We are yet to grout it. I'd like to seal it before doing so and I have bought Lithofin Stain stop. I have read a lot regarding its application however I have received conflicting information about when it is best to do so. I have been told that waiting to seal it doesn't matter/ we need to wait 13 weeks/ we need to wait a year to let it effloresce etc.

What is the general consensus regarding this?

Additionally, how long does it need to be completely dry before sealing it? Again I have read that 3 days is necessary but that's impossible at the moment with all of this rain!!

Thanks in advance
Where did you get all that info?
Where did you get the limestone from and what are their recommendations?
Usually, the seller tells you the steps to follow.
Since it is a natural stone, it is good to apply sealer on it prior to grouting. You follow the manufacturer's instructions, usually you must wait 24h to 72h then you can reapply sealer everywhere

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Sealing limestone question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We have just laid an outdoor patio and path using black limestone (now wishing I’d perhaps...
Replies
Views
Hello, First post here on the forum. Thanks for reading! I have an application for 1"...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
After some advice please..... We have approx. 50sq m of Dijon limestone 600 x 90 x15mm and also...
Replies
Views
As an introduction, I'm a DIY home owner who has gutted the bathroom in a house built in 1980...
Replies
Views
Tony R
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.