UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Sealing Moleanos Beige in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mattw2

Hi - wondered whether anyone had any advice on laying & sealing a limestone floor? The stone details are:

Name of stone: Gasgoigne Beige Limestone
Type of stone: I believe that this is actually a Portuguese Moleanos Beige Limestone
Size of Tiles: 900mm x 600mm x 12.5mm
Edge: Sawn
Finish: Honed
Area: largest continuous area, c.40m2
UFH: Wet

GASCOIGNE MOLEANOS BEIGE LIMESTONE TILES & STONE

My tilers have done a beautiful job on the porcelain tiles in the bathroom, but seem a little nervous about the limestone floor so thought I would see if I get some suggestions from the experts on here on which sealants, number of coats, and any other tips you could share.

Thanks

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
If two zones there should be a isolation joint in the screed berween zones due to differential expansion and contraction under heating at different tempratures. As 2 loops one zone should be no need to joint although 40m2 is right at the top end of the safe size for s/c screeds. Any defficiencies will most likely show up under the commissioning so if no cracks appear you can assume reasonably safe. Trouble with lots of natural stone tiles is that they are relatively soft due to natural flaws and grain patterns in the tiles. If the screed cracks underneath it can crack them. Sand cement can curl and shrink long term so I would tend to suggest itra or similar under natural stone in this type of substrate where areas exceed about 15m2 based on NHBC guides (Not same as British Standard recomendations). I not a tiler though so maybe more advice from pro tilers will be helpfull.

M

mattw2

Thanks for those suggestions on sealing Richard & Dave. Was curious that Lithofin Stainstop wasn't the choice - any particular reason, or is it just experience that the others work better on this stone?

The supplier felt that ditra wouldn't be necessary on the basis that the screed would have had over 7 weeks to cure, with 4 weeks of UFH running (increasing temp up to operating temp over 2 weeks I think) - that make sense?

The screed was laid over two days and a narrow (less than 0.5mm) crack has appeared along the join of the two sections - is this something to worry about?

What I meant by "Area: largest continuous area, c.40m2" was the entire area on one level - there is a smaller section of c.8m2 that you have to step down 8" to go onto. The main area is 8m x 5m. There is expansion joint all the way round the edge.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Sealing Moleanos Beige in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

hi, i am a virtually retired tiler (58), legs back hips etc etc. a friend carpenter (65) has...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all. I've seen a fair share of very dodgy siliconing around the frames of shower doors. The...
Replies
Views
Waluigi
W
I have some 100mm sq limestone tiles that are being fixed in my bathroom and need to seal them...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
O
Is it feasible to grout crema g Limestone prior to sealing? Not something I would normally do...
Replies
Views
been asked to reseal limestone floor about 100 m2. not seen the job yet but guy says it has been...
Replies
Views
jonnyc
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.