Discuss Self level screed with ufh in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

It's just that your thread title says screed and your post says self leveller. Just trying to clarify your situation mate.
Depending on what the substrate is that you're dealing with the heating system could make a difference.
It's always advisable to find out everything you can about what u are tiling on to so that you can make the best decisions.
Tiling blind could lead you in to all sorts of problems.

T

terrycoe1

ah yeah my bad :) hahah well basically as you no im pushing for more work done a few jobs over last few weeks which has now lead to maybe something permanent with a builder who wants regular tiler hes only given me the basic info at mo will ask the questions etc i no roughly where i stand with it all but just wasn't sure whether priming the floor would be necessary so if a self leveler is used would u reccomend it or if a cement sand screed is used would it be advisable to prime also ??

O

Old Mod

What sort of screed is it Terry?
Sand and cement or Anhydrate?
0.5% is ok BUT u must be definitely sure of what type of screed you're dealing with.
has the beating been commissioned?
What tiles are u laying?
Is this a ground floor?
How deep is the screed?
Exactly how long has it been down?
These are all questions u must be asking every time.
A lot of guys prime everything, but u must follow adhesive recommendations and use the correct primer as instructed.
If u use, let's say Mapei Adhesive and Bal primer, and u have a failure then it's ur backside in the sling!! Strictly speaking as far as they're concerned they are incompatible.
So wherever possible try to use the same manufacturers system throughout.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
As above.

I know I bang on about us overusing decouplers and not trusting our world leading adhesives, but in this case it's going to save Head aches money and a floor.

You really need the builder to understand this too as he's going to have to see the cost and time viable.

Last edited:
O

Old Mod

No Terry, it's a matting designed to go over your substrate, it helps eliminate lateral movement in a floor (side to side)
BUT it doesn't eliminate bounce, that's important to remember!
Your screed will expand and contract with the heating and cooling of your substrate (screed in this instance)
Natural stone is very susceptible to cracking in this environment, hence the use of a decoupler, although not a BS requirement, is highly recommended!

O

Old Mod

Wow u read fast!
Do u tile that fast? Haha
Yes Terry, u can prime your screed, make SURE u follow adhesive advice for priming.
Lay Ditra on top using correct trowel, butt joint it, if it needs to be a waterproof membrane (like a wet area) then u must seal the joints to make it waterproof throughout the room.
U must seal the joint with Kerdi Keba tape (minimum 125mm wide)
And u must stick the tape to the Ditra with Kerdi Coll, schluters own adhesive. If u don't it could very possibly fail as a waterproof membrane.
Then tile on top as normal.
Back fill the pockets in the Ditra as u go, the serate your adhesive over the top of that and press in ur tile.

O

Old Mod

T

terrycoe1

right i rung him and explained about the ditra it hasn't been layed its a self leveling that's been used not cement sand screed i think the job is too big for me to take on at this point in time im comfortable building up my work but this requires some one with more experience than me with marble on the walls and slate and granite on the floors if it was a smaller more local job i would have given it ago better to be comfortable with what i can and cant do is there a way i can pass this job on where its more local for someone to actually go take a look etc ??

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
That's very admirable mate. An expensive job if it goes wrong.

Why don't you try to find an experienced tiler to pass the work onto, take a cut, and go do the job with them? Get your experience up a bit.

If you're sure the job is yours then post it in the find a tiler forum.

Tiling Jobs | Find a Tiler

T

terrycoe1

that's a top idea its in Houghton near Huntington this idea would be brilliant for me as im wanting to push for bigger things but not going to take on something i not 100 percent sure on so if i post this on find a tiler also its a b and b and not only that the owner has stated it will be a great advertising pitch as it will be a well known place ! i mean i have no doubts on my ability but id want some reassurance im doing all the right things its worth big money i suspect !

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Post everything you know about it but don't let on who the customer is or the builder etc until things are finalised as you don't want it pinched off you.

Square meterage, days expected to take, tile types and sizes etc etc.

Ask people to contact you via PM. Or contact those that express an interest via PM yourself. Share your phone number or whatever via PM not actually in the thread.

Reply to Self level screed with ufh in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
So I may have done an oopsie. We are putting self-levelling compound down over floor where I...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB