Discuss self levelling compound on top of Egger P5 Protect Board in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

K

kaide

Hi everyone,
Is there any such thing as a self levelling compound that can be directly laid on top of Egger P5 Protect Tongue and Groove Chipboard? My builders have done just that and then tiled on top of it. My tiled floor has failed.
The Egger people have been really helpful. They say that it is well known that melamine can be a difficult material to bond to. However, the Egger people have advised me to contact a manufacturer of levelling compounds to check whether they have a particular product they can suggest for a melamine surface. I've contacted one company but no luck so far.
From your experiences as tilers, have you ever come across a levelling compound that you can use on a melamine surface before?
Many thanks in advance.
Kaide:mad2:

K

kaide

Thanks Martin and Mr Tea Bag for your response.
Yes, I am double checking what my builders used. But I don't know what SLC they used. Brand new kitchen sitting on a failed floor! My builders have ripped the floor up and say it failed because I have a few spliced joists (they did not tell me about at the time) and that it is my fault. They want to charge me over £5000 to rectify the joists and lay a new tiled floor. No way!!! Hence, I am gathering information against them.
Since posting, I have had 3 positive individual SLC companies email me to say they have no products to recommend. Instead, they advise to put plywood or Hardibacker board over the Egger P5 boards.
Thanks again,
ali

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Thanks Martin and Mr Tea Bag for your response.
Yes, I am double checking what my builders used. But I don't know what SLC they used. Brand new kitchen sitting on a failed floor! My builders have ripped the floor up and say it failed because I have a few spliced joists (they did not tell me about at the time) and that it is my fault. They want to charge me over £5000 to rectify the joists and lay a new tiled floor. No way!!! Hence, I am gathering information against them.
Since posting, I have had 3 positive individual SLC companies email me to say they have no products to recommend. Instead, they advise to put plywood or Hardibacker board over the Egger P5 boards.
Thanks again,
ali

Sorry but chipboard in any form will never be a suitable surface to tile on.

L

lindaree

Sorry for your troubles but as others have said - your floor is a no go regardless of product. The least you should have had is a decoupling mat(sometimes known as an anti crack mat) and most probably either ply or hardi board as well as the mat. If you can find out which adhesive they used you can go straight to the manufacturers who (in my experience) will come to see you foc and spec the floor. If as it sounds like, the builder has made a hash of the install, the manufacturers rep will provide a report saying this is how their product should have been used, so although its unlikely this report will lay the blame with the builder its more evidence to help you sort out them out by being able to show the install was wrong from the start.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to self levelling compound on top of Egger P5 Protect Board in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Will this work? (top to bottom) tiling (one room), 12mm laminate (other room) 19mm T&G chipboard...
Replies
Views
I’m nearly there with a bathroom tiling Project and managed to make it this far before getting...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I am going to be tiling my upstairs bathroom that has a wooden floor. It originally had wooden...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling my 12m^2 conservatory - Concrete base, Self levelled, 20mm Jackoboards, Prowarm...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB