UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Self levelling screed and PVA in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

caluson

I'm in the process of a new build in the Western Isles and in need of some advice.
I've installed wet UFH and it's been screeded badly and neeeds to be filled in and lowered in places. I can lower to a degree with a hired polisher, but should i fill in with the self levelling screed before or after firing up the UFH system?
I've also had a couple of quotes for tiling over the screed and one person seemed a bit blase saying he could put extra adhesive below the tiles in the shallow areas to even it out. The other chap arrived with a five foot spirit level and got all technical with levels etc and said that the whole of the floor needes to be painted/coated in PVA before tiling.
Is there a set proceedure that needs to be followed for my situation or should i just listen to what the tiler says and be done with it?

Many thanks, Calum

G

grumpygrouter

As per Whitebeam... DON'T USE PVA!!!

As for the floor flatness, BS states it should be within about +/-3mm over a 2m distance under a straight edge. Depending how far out it is, it may be possible to fill the low bits with with extra adhesive bit ideally the floor should be as flat as you can get it first. You don't state what type of screed you have. Is is a sand/cement screed or a gypsum based one. Gypsum based either needs priming correctly and/ or a gypsum adhesive not a normal cement based one.

D

David Blann

I'm in the process of a new build in the Western Isles and in need of some advice.
I've installed wet UFH and it's been screeded badly and neeeds to be filled in and lowered in places. I can lower to a degree with a hired polisher, but should i fill in with the self levelling screed before or after firing up the UFH system?
I've also had a couple of quotes for tiling over the screed and one person seemed a bit blase saying he could put extra adhesive below the tiles in the shallow areas to even it out. The other chap arrived with a five foot spirit level and got all technical with levels etc and said that the whole of the floor needes to be painted/coated in PVA before tiling.
Is there a set proceedure that needs to be followed for my situation or should i just listen to what the tiler says and be done with it?

Many thanks, Calum
I know you have had it done by now lol. But the first guy is right how I have done it in the past as the customer didn't want all the hassle of it being leveled out first so I had to puk up the tile or tiles with adisive to make the floor level stick a lazer up and your OK you just use more adisive but make sure you bond the floor with it as well as the tile.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Self levelling screed and PVA in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I’m nearly there with a bathroom tiling Project and managed to make it this far before getting...
Replies
Views
Need some help please with calculating levels and the build up of the floor to support tiling...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling my 12m^2 conservatory - Concrete base, Self levelled, 20mm Jackoboards, Prowarm...
Replies
Views
Forgive me for I am noob... I have a 9m x 9m floor area that is one space, but half is a new...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.