Discuss self made problem needs your help, please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

StevenBarn

Dear Tiler'sForums folks,
I wonder if someone can help me with a problem (self-made!).
I recently used Unibond floor levelling compound to protect the wiring in an under floor heating mat. My plan was to do this and then use a flexible tile adhesive to tile onto the compound with. HOWEVER, I didn't realise that the floor lev compound should ALSO be the flexible/latex kind and so unfortunately I used the regular Unibond product. (i.e. non-flexi)
I have not switched the heat mat on yet, but I have been told that the compound will soon crack when I do, so I wonder if anyone has any ideas to help me out of this predicament? Is there a product which I can apply that would dissolve/loosen the compound without, of course, damaging the heating mat? Or should i switch the mat on and when the compound cracks, maybe the heating mat can be retrieved and re-laid (or, at least the wiring, as I'm sure the matting will get messed up) Or maybe, when it cracks I could cover it up with the correct flexi/latex compound and see if that works? (or will it just keep cracking?) If anyone can help I will be extremely grateful. Many thanks in anticipation of your replies, Steven Barn

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Welcome aboard. I was just going to say something along the lines of Ajax there. Surely if you left it as is, and then switched it on, it's crack almost exactly where the cable is, therefore you may be able to pull it all up without damage (though with lots of patience) which'll save you your heating mat. Then just do what you can to ge the rest of the compound up and start again. You'd have only lost your bags of levelling compound then.

Either way, post us some before and after shots and you'll get a sticker for your fridge for being good. :thumbsup: - we love pics here. :)

S

StevenBarn

Thanks everyone, for your replies - I did type out a reply before but not sure if i deleted before sending it! last night i managed to get the wiring out of the compound, in one piece and today i managed to scrape the compound off of the ekoboards, so i am going to give it another shot....and get it right this time! this forum is excellent. i have never been on an 'online community' and wasn't expecting any replies! All the best and thanks again, S.

Reply to self made problem needs your help, please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
self made problem needs your help, please!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks