Discuss show us you work thread in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Q

Qwerty

can we change it back to the way it used to be not many people posting pictures under the new system as far as I can make out ?

I agree. A comment was made recently by somebody on another thread on this forum saying to people to "stop bigging up bog standard work" and that bread & butter work is nothing to shout about. I thought the forum was about sharing whether its a standard ceramic splashback or a luxury real stone staircase.
We all know who the chancers and big mouths are when they pop up, but I think of late a lot of changes and some attitudes are putting people off sharing their work. A real shame.

D

DHTiling

I agree. A comment was made recently by somebody on another thread on this forum saying to people to "stop bigging up bog standard work" and that bread & butter work is nothing to shout about. I thought the forum was about sharing whether its a standard ceramic splashback or a luxury real stone staircase.
We all know who the chancers and big mouths are when they pop up, but I think of late a lot of changes and some attitudes are putting people off sharing their work. A real shame.

Yes I thought that comment was well out of order as well.

Just because it isn't a high end marble job etc does not mean it cannot be shared and comments like it is nothing but bog standard is degrading IMO.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
The other method was my idea. My thinking was instigated by the length the SUYW thread was getting. But also the other area of the forum presents a way of members publishing their work somewhere that will (hopefully) rank well on search engines from the popularity of the forum. So the advantage to publishing with a title such as "company name - tiling in wherever" puts your business in a location on the net. There was a hidden agenda to the idea.

S

Spud

there is a show us your work thread on the john bridge forum which is far bigger, by having a large show us your work thread it is a good reference point for guest to gain design ideas and also how tastes can change over time, cutting the old style was a mistake in my opinion and that is made clear by how many pictures are being posted now , there could be a reward system in place where jobs could be given reputation points or something similar this would encourage pictures, bog standard stuff would still gain points as the mods could award a set amount just for uploading the pictures

D

DHTiling

there is a show us your work thread on the john bridge forum which is far bigger, by having a large show us your work thread it is a good reference point for guest to gain design ideas and also how tastes can change over time, cutting the old style was a mistake in my opinion and that is made clear by how many pictures are being posted now , there could be a reward system in place where jobs could be given reputation points or something similar this would encourage pictures, bog standard stuff would still gain points as the mods could award a set amount just for uploading the pictures

That was the reason i started the first show us your work thread Gaz..? But it was deemed to be to big and a second was created . the whole point of creating it was to get it all in one thread and if peeps could be bothered they could sit for hrs looking through yrs of photos that members had shared... so i really do agree with your point ...

But the first original one is still there and we can revive it .. >>>> http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/37000-tilersforums.com-show-us-your.html#post373300

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Peter

Plenty of forums have similar such threads but just do a new version every year or so, ie Show us your work 2012 and Show us your work 2013. Good reference point for collecting pictures from all aspects and things you wouldn't see, rather than looking at the new style threads and just seeing one tiler's style of work.

Good mix in the other thread when you seen some thin 1200s by Gary, then an ordinary but well done bathroom by a regular, then something zany by Rainsco, then a cracking bespoke job by a new member etc.

Somerset
I think the cream of tiling work (e.g. marble staircases or mosaic steam rooms) needs to be recognised and celebrated - but in a non-intimidating way to tilers who work very hard on "bread and butter" tiling (especially commercial tilers). I would like to see more encouragement of showcasing good honest and good quality basic tiling work whether its in JOTM or "Show us your work" (SUYW) Also like to see more teamwork recognition - there are a number of posting tilers here who work either as a team or in charge of a team who together produce some excellent work.

I personally feel the SUYW thread is the Forums equivalent of Tolstoys "War and Peace" (sooooooo long, but ultimately rewarding if you persevere), and JOTM needs invigorating - it lacks the punch it had 2 years ago. I agree that SUYW needs closing off each year - most tiling work is timeless but the value of a tiler is what they are currently capable of not what they did 5 years ago.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Where was that thread Geoff? I must have missed it. I have always said a well set out/ executed splash back is every bit as good as a fancy high end job.

Can anyone give me a link to that thread please?

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
I think the cream of tiling work (e.g. marble staircases or mosaic steam rooms) needs to be recognised and celebrated - but in a non-intimidating way to tilers who work very hard on "bread and butter" tiling (especially commercial tilers). I would like to see more encouragement of showcasing good honest and good quality basic tiling work whether its in JOTM or "Show us your work" (SUYW) Also like to see more teamwork recognition - there are a number of posting tilers here who work either as a team or in charge of a team who together produce some excellent work.

I personally feel the SUYW thread is the Forums equivalent of Tolstoys "War and Peace" (sooooooo long, but ultimately rewarding if you persevere), and JOTM needs invigorating - it lacks the punch it had 2 years ago. I agree that SUYW needs closing off each year - most tiling work is timeless but the value of a tiler is what they are currently capable of not what they did 5 years ago.

Why would a commercial tiler be intimidated by looking at pictures of stone/marble/mosaic work?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to show us you work thread in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB