Discuss Shower Alcove - need 10mm backer board maximum. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi, I've just popped in from the plumbers forum to ask you experts..

I've ripped the remains of the skimmed stud wall plasterboard with tiles over from my shower alcove. It had a 760 tray and a false wall to fit. Without putting another false wall in I can fit a 800 tray in. But that leaves me with only 10mm each side for new boards.

All the backer boards seem to be 12/12.5mm.

I can only think of using 9.5mm plasterboard tanked, but it seems too flimsy to me.

Would ply be the only option or is that a swear word here.

Steve

Last edited:
If that's all your gonna be fixing ( as in nothing heavier ) and you are gonna tank it, then I would use plasterboard with extra noggins if the present structure is flimsy.

HTH

EDIT: do NOT use ply, no way no how :thumbsup:

Thanks Alan,
As I've already got the plasterboard I will follow your advice of the extra noggins and see how it feels. It's not the present structure that's flimsy, I just thought the plasterboard was not up to the job. After I cut it, the edges seems too crumbly. I suppose the tiling will increase it's strength.

Thanks for the responses Alan and Mart

Last edited:
S

Stef

Thanks Alan,
As I've already got the plasterboard I will follow your advice of the extra noggins and see how it feels. It's not the present structure that's flimsy, I just thought the plasterboard was not up to the job. After I cut it, the edges seems too crumbly. I suppose the tiling will increase it's strength.

Thanks for the responses Alan and Mart

If it's a stud wall then drop your stud legs down to 300mm centres & add dwangs (noggins) & you won't have a problem..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Shower Alcove - need 10mm backer board maximum. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Wetroom leaked. Former and first course of wall tiles removed. WBP ply on joists (shower tray...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Now back to bare house brick and they not level, tiling a bathroom, shower over bath, was...
Replies
Views
Trying to Get bathroom re tiled, had conflicting advice from a few tilers, I’m a total novice...
Replies
Views
Hello gents! Long time lurker, first time poster.... I’m just fitting out our en-suite bathroom...
Replies
Views
Allan D
A
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB