Discuss Shower Tiling problem in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Grahamc1

Some help please: I have had a loft conversion done, including a shower, which was tiled. The rear wall of the shower was, I believe, made of 2 sheets of marine ply with a horizontal join about 1m up. So far as I know, the tiles were fixed straight onto this. There is now a perfectly straight crack across the tiles where the join goes. The loft company say it is my fault for getting cheap tiles (Wickes standard) and are refusing to fix. I belive it was not adequately done and it is their responsibility. So firstly, is there a way I can prove it is their fault, but more importantly, how best to sort it out, preferably without having to strip the whole thing and start again? Would replacing the cracked tiles using a more flexible adhesive prevent them from re-cracking?

All thoughts welcome.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

no if they have given once the will give again the problem here is the join was not solid blocket and you did not pick this up so you put this down to learning the hard way we all have to pay in one way or another for the skill we pick up along the way next time do not beleive what the builder tells you he just whats out with the most proffit its your job and your job only to check every think as its your neck on the line when things go wrong and only you can let that happen its a small shower wall learn that lesson but learn it well and move on wiser and smarter than you where before and thank your lucky stars you leanred this early good luck but thats the luck you make

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
As i say if the crack in the tiles follows the line of the join then its pretty clear that the wall/ply and construction of is the fault.
If glazing on the tiles had cracked all over the tiling then maybe not.

Take some pictures and document it well. Remove one or two of the cracked thousand see where the join lies.
Is there any discolouration in the grout? And what grout was used? What sort of shower was installed? Was the area waterproofed? Or tanked?

Might be an idea to get a tiler out for an hour or two to investigate and see if they are willing to document issues for you so you can be armed with the information you need.

S

SJPurdy

When plywood is used as a substrate for wall tiling then as far as I can remember (my online library access seems to have disappeared so I can't check) British standards recommends that it should be limited to small areas that can be made from one sheet, and that if there are joints in the sheets then they should not be tiled over (unless a movement joint is put in). Where plywood is used it should also have been coated on the reverse (un-tiled) side and all edges with a suitable primer/sealer - which in my experience never happens.

S

Stef

This install has failed because they have used Ply in a shower area,
End of.

Listen to Dave, it's down to expansion of the substrate,

Ply is not suitable in a wet environment, ie shower, it expands & contracts & that's why the line has appeared along the joint in the substrate.

The builder would have been better off using plasterboard, even without tanking it would have lasted longer.

Builders think that if they use Ply then it strengthens the wall.

This failure is down to the builder.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Shower Tiling problem in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Greetings All, appreciate the expertise existing in this forum. I am a home remodeler, not a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB