Discuss Shower valve issue in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I can see it now.

this type of valve does not have much adjustment for depth. I have fitted quite a few. Forget about it having to be behind the plasterboard. Just make sure its right for the tiles. This WILL mean moving the mixer forwards.

Or use a backer board instead of 12.5 pb.
Marmox thinnest is 4mm. That gives 8.5mm back.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
The cylinder section of the valve. The plate once pushed back in the picture shows 15-20mm still exposed.

7mm tile must be a small-ish format. Ceramic, maybe porcelain.
Looks like its a purpose made stud to house the BIV. So being a small area. . . . . . 6mm backer board, 7mm tile and a compressed bed of approx 3mm. I think theyll get it in.

What I'm seeing is about 5mm plus reflection. And I believe the 5mm visible, is actually the plate (where the rubber seal sits), and not the actual cylinder. I could be wrong though.. A smaller backer board might help, but surely you'd have to add lots of support to the wall? Easier to get the plumber back, to do his job properly IMO.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
These mixers are predominately used on the continent, and chased into a solid wall. The plaster or cement finish for tiling only just covers the mixer. For the price these are a good quality valve ( solid brass ) you just need to consider the depth when installing. I normally install them to be flush with the plasterboard or whatever substrate is being used. When the boarding has been fitted ( will need notching round the bottom pipe connections) then tape up the mixer to stop marks and using powder adhesive, cover the connections ready for tiling.
I'm sure I have some pics of this, so will post them if I can find.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Shower valve issue in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

M
Background: I've moved into a house 3 months ago that I have been renovating for a while. I have...
Replies
Views
manwith
M
J
Hi All, I am in the middle of sorting out my family bathroom, to begin with I have removed the...
Replies
Views
lizzardtong
L
V
Hi All, My shower room DIY project continues to throw up issues. Having solved the PVA problem...
Replies
Views
T
Hi Guys, I keep ending up on this forum during my ever more confusing research into my (ever...
Replies
Views
trevster
T
A
Hi I think I am a reasonably competent DYer but I have limited experience with Bathrooms at...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB