Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Silicon or grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gomez

Hi all
looking for a bit more info / advice, bathroom /wet room tiled now ( in porc 300x600) just wondering about the pros and cons regarding silicon. I know which joints to seal (shower corners floor corners etc.), but here's the question, in members experience is it best to grout and then silicon, or silicon straight into the open joint (2mm). and grout up to it?
Thanks for your attention.

G

gomez

Once again chaps
Thanks for your input, makes perfect sense. Also thanks for the added tips. always open to suggestions. Heres a bit of a tip back, when I was cutting the tiles (8mm porc) i was getting one or two with nibs left on the waste side, obviously the required good tile had the nib missing of the cut. If you have loads of tiles not a prob, but if your short you need to save all you can, anyway i found that if I could reclaim the nib of the waste side cleanly then i could stick it back with a spray on contact adhesive. leave it for 10 minute's then the tile can be used.

Heres a bit of a tip back, when I was cutting the tiles (8mm porc) i was getting one or two with nibs left on the waste side, obviously the required good tile had the nib missing of the cut. If you have loads of tiles not a prob, but if your short you need to save all you can, anyway i found that if I could reclaim the nib of the waste side cleanly then i could stick it back with a spray on contact adhesive. leave it for 10 minute's then the tile can be used.

Gomez, if this is happening regularly with those tiles and no matter how hard you score them you still get 'snips' then just run your grinder along the first inch of your scored line before snapping the tile:thumbsup:

S

SandyFloor

Re. silicon....the reason this needs to be done is to compensate for the movement in the walls ( forming an expansion joint as United says). If you only grout in the corners ( even flexible grout) the chances are it will crack before long which not only looks bad but can cause a disaster in a shower. Its alarming how many 'tilers' don't do this.

Thats a good tip from Merle there. You should get all your cuts 100% with this method.

G

gomez

ok. Thanks for the swift reply, if I understand correctly the grinder disc will leave a 3mm/4mm groove or cut out in the tile, if i want to use both sides of the tile one of them will have a grinder cut. Ok if the offcut is waste but does this method work if I want to use both sides of the tile? It was suggested that I double score the first inch of the cut but I was still getting the same problem. Any thoughts?

J

jay

ok. Thanks for the swift reply, if I understand correctly the grinder disc will leave a 3mm/4mm groove or cut out in the tile, if i want to use both sides of the tile one of them will have a grinder cut. Ok if the offcut is waste but does this method work if I want to use both sides of the tile? It was suggested that I double score the first inch of the cut but I was still getting the same problem. Any thoughts?

not a good idea to double score as it causes problems sounds like you may be scoring and breaking wrong or the wheel in your cutter is shot:8:

I'm sure I read a tip about this problem, and they recommended running the wheel backwards over the first 2 inches of the tile, then run the wheel forwards over the whole tile as normal.

It maybe your not putting the same pressure on the first part of the tile. Thats why your left with the little nib.

If you try this and still get the same problem, I would recommend what the others said.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

G

gomez

Hi
Thanks for all the input.
The cutter I am using is a big clincker and it cuts the cross cuts (300mm) ok all the time the problem is with the long 600 cuts, it has not done much in terms of cutting, just one bathroom 30 mtr2 of tiles so I would have thought that the wheel might have a bit of life in it yet. probably it is my technique. Tried the cut on the bed tip and it works perfectly. The running back tip I've tried but still get the same result about 10-15% snips left on.
The cutting is finished now but thanks to all for your interest and advice, it is all logged for the future.
Cheers
Gomez:thumbsup:

Reply to Silicon or grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Silicon or grout?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.