Discuss Silicone around bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Q

Qwerty

Pretty sure on some bags of grout it says along the lines of 'internal corners to be filled with silicone'..

I've definitely seen it, but can't say which brand it was...

Mapei Ultracolour plus is one of many that do!!!
uqy3ubas.jpg

Oh, and Weber too!
za9y6ubu.jpg

Anybody care to phone their grout manufacturer to speak with their tech depth and get their opinion on it? I'm pretty sure I don't have to tell you all what the answer will be from each and every one of them!?

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Tile to tile, you want to silicone, so it's water tight (or as water tight as it can be anyway...) ;)

Or you could double pack with grout and silicone... Best of both world then.... Or is it the worst lol

You've changed your tune lol

Anyone who can make an expansion joint look anything better than average is a better man than me, apart from the fact they are not meant to be grouted!! Interestingly, I was grouting with micro max smoke a few weeks ago and was aware we had no matching silicone so I grouted all the corner joints, I was not overly proud of the result but the customer was happy. Maybe we look to closely in to our work who knows but I will be sticking to silicone for movement joints and grout for grout joints.

C

charlie1

Tile to tile, you want to silicone, so it's water tight (or as water tight as it can be anyway...) ;)

You've changed your tune lol

No, I have not changed my tune, grouting internal movement joints is completely wrong, even though others with lots of experience do it. First post quote was sarcasm, by grouting and silicon you are getting the worst of both world because your not getting any movement plus I doubt how aesthetically pleasing the silicone would be over grout. Yes, a few weeks ago I grouted a movement joint as I knew I had no matching silicone... Lock me up!!

Reply to Silicone around bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Hi any advice on what would go with what. I've layed off white tiles on floor with grey...
Replies
Views
Hi, first timers here... I am tiling my bathrooms and prefer the look & neatness of tiling...
Replies
Views
Hi I’ve tiled my bathroom floor on top of hardie cement board. I have left expansion gaps all...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB