Discuss Silicone Issues - (What a muppet) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Smudger

Just finished my first job for ages. Black floor tiles and grout in bathroom. Took my time, and tiling/grouting spot on. Decided to use black silicon aoung edge rather than grout to wall. It now looks awful, really messy. Tempted to slice it off at floor level or just rip it all out (won't have gone off yet, only did it today). Wish I had just grouted to the wall, don't know why I didn't, the cuts were really tight. Any suggestions, tips on using very dark silicone, got into a bit of a mess with it. It's going to take me a morning now to sort it out. What a muppet!!

F

foxman

Get yourselr a silicone profile tool a spray bottle with a mixture of water and a squirt of washing up liquid, simply apply an even bead of silocone, spray it with the water and washing up liquid, spray the silicone tool and pull down the silicone line then spray your finger and very very lightly feather the silicone with your finger being careful not to take any silicone off, this works every time with perfect results and no mess cheers Mick

Just finished my first job for ages. Black floor tiles and grout in bathroom. Took my time, and tiling/grouting spot on. Decided to use black silicon aoung edge rather than grout to wall. It now looks awful, really messy. Tempted to slice it off at floor level or just rip it all out (won't have gone off yet, only did it today). Wish I had just grouted to the wall, don't know why I didn't, the cuts were really tight. Any suggestions, tips on using very dark silicone, got into a bit of a mess with it. It's going to take me a morning now to sort it out. What a muppet!!

Just for future reference, it's best to leave a gap 2-3mm for silicone so it's got somewhere to go otherwise if it's too tight you tend to drag the whole lot out again when smoothing off. Finish off as Foxman for me! :thumbsup:

U

united

It's best to use silicone to fill the expansion gap as the grout may crack and may not allow for much movement

S

Smudger

Thanks for all the great advice. I went back and painstakingly trimmed the unsightly black "muck" (agrees with Jamie B!), and then redid the sections needed using masking tape on the skirting and my new silicone tool. How did I ever get by without it!!:hurray:
In the WC I just grouted up to the wall. In hindsight, the messy sections were the sections where the cuts were right against the wall and there was no gap. So I think leaving the 2-3mm gap is great advice.

Anyway, all finished and client very happy. Thanks all for the support:thumbsup:

Reply to Silicone Issues - (What a muppet) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi any advice on what would go with what. I've layed off white tiles on floor with grey...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Silicone Issues - (What a muppet)
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.