Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Silicone on old Silicone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Muse2k8

Just something brought up over on the plumbing forum. Seemed to be a mix of opinions on whether or not you could add silicone over old silicone, usually to cover cracked sealant etc.

As such I did an experiment to get a did definitive answer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335399635.111194.jpg

The first bed was put down and given nearly 48 hours to cure.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335399720.703432.jpg

After that a new bead was added, firmly pressed to the older silicone and with a decent bed behind it to simulate filling a gap or what have you.

Again this was allowed to dry fully before testing.

On testing the new bead was pulled at to see how easily it came off. Remember that these were new beads and clean unlike silicone that might have been down for years!

And the result?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335399938.054917.jpg

It came away effortlessly.

So obviously without teaching how to suck eggs, hopefully this will help someone or anyone in the future with either DIY or indeed professional jobs.

Cheers :D

T

Topshop

The only problem I see with your experiment is that how often do you not force the first or second silicone in a joint with your finger or tool. From what I can see in your experiment you only laid the second one on top wth no smoothing to force it together.

Either way I think the biggest danger of not removing old silicone is that the old may not be adhered to the surface well anymore and to put new on top may not fix the old failure. Plus often there are science experiments growing on the old silicone which make the old stuff look like butt.

Leaving excess silicone behind only makes silicone fail. I always remove as much excess silicone as I can with a razor - the excess peels later causing the joint to fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Muse2k8

The only problem I see with your experiment is that how often do you not force the first or second silicone in a joint with your finger or tool. From what I can see in your experiment you only laid the second one on top wth no smoothing to force it together.

Either way I think the biggest danger of not removing old silicone is that the old may not be adhered to the surface well anymore and to put new on top may not fix the old failure. Plus often there are science experiments growing on the old silicone which make the old stuff look like butt.

Leaving excess silicone behind only makes silicone fail. I always remove as much excess silicone as I can with a razor - the excess peels later causing the joint to fail.

The bit of silicone attached to the other was pushed hard into it then given some bulk afterwards to try simulate it being pushed into joint. But seems that once its cured nothing is going to stick. And yeah your right for old silicone there's other worlds living on it!!! :)

Reply to Silicone on old Silicone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all, I am just looking for some advice regarding my shower room. I have a newish house (2.5...
Replies
Views
Joseph Kover
J
S
Hello Everyone! new DIYER here. Me and my husband have just brought our first home which was...
Replies
Views
GordonK
G
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
M
Hello everyone - first question, so bear with me; I have tried to look through the wealth of...
Replies
Views
jollyroger
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Silicone on old Silicone
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.