Discuss Tiling Help needed! Tiling over old plaster/wallpaper in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

On one

When plasterboard is manufactured the gypsum core is formed by pouring rapid setting liquid gypsum in between an upper and lower layer of paper which is squeezed between rollers to form the different thicknesses of PB comes in.
So in effect it permeates the paper layers and as such it's characteristics are factory controlled and on site uses can be predicted.
When you tile onto 'wallpaper'.....what are you actually tiling onto..... a vinyl covered layer of wallpaper? ,a coat of paint covered wallpaper? and so on and so on.....
Quickest way to deal with wallpaper direct onto plasterboard is to remove the plasterboard! ,believe me, it's not as hard as you think.

G

GordonK

When plasterboard is manufactured the gypsum core is formed by pouring rapid setting liquid gypsum in between an upper and lower layer of paper which is squeezed between rollers to form the different thicknesses of PB comes in.
So in effect it permeates the paper layers and as such it's characteristics are factory controlled and on site uses can be predicted.
When you tile onto 'wallpaper'.....what are you actually tiling onto..... a vinyl covered layer of wallpaper? ,a coat of paint covered wallpaper? and so on and so on.....
Quickest way to deal with wallpaper direct onto plasterboard is to remove the plasterboard! ,believe me, it's not as hard as you think.

Thanks - and tbh I am seriously considering doing just that as opposed to spending weeks pulling paper off walls... this isnt vinyl its just plain old anaglypta and a layer of white emulsion...

Reply to Tiling Help needed! Tiling over old plaster/wallpaper in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I removed some old tiles from the shower and wanted to know if it's possible to tile...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling Help needed! Tiling over old plaster/wallpaper
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Australia Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond