Discuss siliconing technique... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Finger,if i take my time its very neat, i go around all bath /shower at once then use my finger and bacteria,better finish with bacteria.
Im kinda joking there,how in the gods do u all know bacteria makes it go gar gar, seriously you lads would believe owt.
I want scientific proof,its goes mouldy cos of constantly wet nowt to do with bacteria
:) jesus h Christ :)

Q

Qwerty

Seriously widler, mould on silicone is nearly always due to the old "saliva wipe" technique.

The most common type of bacteria found in saliva is Streptococcus. People typically have Streptococcus in their mouths living benignly, although certain species are responsible for diseases such as strep throat, meningitis and bacterial pneumonia. Now tell me how that wouldn't cause mould (bacteria). Bacteria multiplies in damp and warm conditions i.e bathrooms!!

I will stick to my forming tools and fairy liquid thanks!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
So if that was the case wouldnt it grow everywhere in bathrooms ? I mean, its only usually around the wet areas is it not ?
I re did my ensuite last year ( or maybe the year before) with the silicone things and a spray, not any saliva , guess what ,its still mouldy around the wet areas in the showers, not in the corners mind just where its wet.
When i did my kitchen with me fingers and saliva its got mouldy around my sink no doubt about it but everywhere else not a bit.
Seriously mate we aint flippin komodo dragons :) folk read stuff and believe it to be true when in fact using saliva does not make a iota of difference in wet areas.
Ps im not saying we don't have bacteria in our mouths, jeez ive had enough coldsores offa dirty women but it being the reason it makes silicone mouldy :) :)

Q

Qwerty

Ok widler. Im speaking from both experience with silicone and also when I have attended mapei hq in Halesowen where I discussed this matter with the technical guys there. Here is a link to an Aussie silicone company that specifically mention saliva in their technical specs!

http://www.insulationindustries.com.au/SiteFiles/insulationindustries2010comau/770data.pdf

3uvehymy.jpg

Do you just disbelieve that it encourages mould growth or do you have any evidence it doesn't?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Oh jesus h christ, forget it,i have proved it will grow with or without it,with using your finger and with using fairy.
If a bit of bacteria makes it happen quicker then maybe it does but even wonder silicone with fabulous mould resistant technology :) with grow mould in a short while.
Its blocko aint it?
Listen bud why dont you do a test piece( i did un beknown to me) i know some of you wonder tilers like your little tests, and come back in 12 months time,pm me with pics .
Thats me done on this one, come back in 12 months with your finding prof

Q

Qwerty

forget it,i have proved it will grow with or without it,with using your finger and with using fairy.
If a bit of bacteria makes it happen quicker then maybe it does

Im sorry that Widler misinterpreted me giving sound advice as arguing, but again I strongly disagree to his last observation. Saliva used to smooth silicone WILL cause mould at some point, there is no maybe about it. This will be sped up in damp & warm areas. Hygiene plays a big part too I guess, as a good cleaning regime afterwards will keep any potential new bacteria at bay.

Not once have I had any of my previous customers have any of their silicone mould. I have used mapei & dow corning silicone, forming tools and fresh fairy water mix on each & every one of them (including my own!.....see photo below).

agyrepag.jpg

This is the corner of my shower which is used twice a day most days by my wife & I. This is now nearly 5 years old and proof enough for me ........no need for a 12 month test either.

Below is a photo of a new build flat where the builder used his saliva to smooth the silicone (flat was around two years old). I was asked by the owner to renew the silicone only.

ameseban.jpg

Below I have attached a photo of my silicone afterwards (grout still mouldy I know but that is what comes with builder using all in one addy & grout!). This photo was taken around 9 months AFTER I siliconed it when I returned to re-seal their travertine splash back.

e2unupad.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to siliconing technique... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
I would very much appreciate the advice of anyone who has fitted Marmox boards as I have decided...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Am I a ****? Bumped into a builder in my local and he sees I do tiling so asks me to...
Replies
Views
S
Hopefully a quick one for ya. When I grouted recently I was obviously not careful enough and...
Replies
Views
SJPurdy
S

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB