UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Slap me!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wivers

Guess what idiot started to dry lay the floor, with cuts , before checking all the boxes of tiles were the same, only to get half way through and notice the shades were different. On checking the boxes i realised that the customer had got 3 boxes of sandstone shade 21 and 1 box of sandstone shade 22. DOH!!!!! I had to wait for the customer to come home tell them the news and wait for them to go to good old B&Q to collect another box. As it happens all the boxes were on the same pallet which is totally stupid if u ask me. Anyone else ever done this, and please take it in turns to slap my stupid thick head with whatever you have to hand!!!!!!!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
After I read the above it seemed it could be read by you lot in the wrong way. I'm not saying it's wrong!

I've never dry laid floor tiles before fixing them, I was shown to staff out and know what your cuts will be like, then tile in runs, up the longer lengths of the floor sticking to your string lined/pencilled lines.

I just can't imagine doing it without adhesive, then pulling them up and doing them all again, surely the tolerance of the tiles can effect the outcome, if you've dry laid a row of tiles, then you pick them up, and your pile turns 90 degree, they could be a mm out each, one a 3 meter wide floor with a 30c tile, that's a cm out?! Or you're spacers are falling ll over the place as your grout lines are wider than them?

maybe I'm barking totally up the wrong tree, can somebody put me right? lol for want of a better phrase.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
There has to be different ways, as I understand that people just pick things up quicker and can be better at arriving at the same goal by carrying out a task using a different method. Plus how would a customer choose between us all if every job was the same, etc etc. But I just can't get my head around dry laying, never have been able to. I do hope that in the training centre's, they're not dodging laying floor tiles by teaching a 'dry-lay' method.

Hope we haven't put wivers on the spot like, Sorry wivers, this ain't about your setting out lol. Let somebody else explain the advantages of dry laying mate.

L

Leatherface

Hi

I also am not trying to put Wivers on the spot -
I do not mean this in his case, but in SOME cases it is a "lack" of training or "training received"

There is one course that I know about - I have been and chatted to the guys face to face.
They were not aware of a datum line. Neither did they use a tile staff - they simply offered the tile to the wall and did pencil marks. They had people on the course who paid money to learn this ???????????

I will not say who - do not feel that it is my place here to do so.
However, after our conversation they said that they would incorporate this method into their training.

I am not trying to say that any methods are "wrong" - however, some are more efficient & accurate than others.

K

kapitan

leatherface no professional tiler i know marks out small domestic bathrooms with datums and staffs!! its all down to personal choice but imo you are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut! i used staffs etc, when i worked in the commercial sector but now 90% of my work is domestic bathroom refitting and i can lay out a bathroom in minutes accurately and know exactly where every cut is going and i must have tiled over 1000 bathrooms!! im not knocking your way m8 just pointing out that you use whatever works best for you!! and wivers theres not a tiler in the land who hasnt done that m8!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wivers

"Sniff , Sniff" you've all hurt me bad! :) Dry laying is the method they use to teach you at PTS as it goes. The room was only 3 sqm. Dry layed because i offered to put a 3 diamond pattern in the floor for the customer and was showing them where it would fit in. As the tiles were down i worked from them for my cuts. Customer didn't even go for the pattern in the end. Thanks btw kapitan. DAMN U B&Q!!!!!!!:)

L

Leatherface

leatherface no professional tiler i know marks out small domestic bathrooms with datums and staffs!! its all down to personal choice but imo you are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut! i used staffs etc, when i worked in the commercial sector but now 90% of my work is domestic bathroom refitting and i can lay out a bathroom in minutes accurately and know exactly where every cut is going and i must have tiled over 1000 bathrooms!! im not knocking your way m8 just pointing out that you use whatever works best for you!! and wivers theres not a tiler in the land who hasnt done that m8!!!!

Small bathroom floors no - but walls Yes - no matter how small - takes me a matter of minutes. It is the way I set out. happy with it.
Anyways as lonfg as the end result is ok who cares ? :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Slap me!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first post so here goes, advice needed. It was decided that I should renovate...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
uHeat and TilersForums.com go Way Back - And Continue to Partner-up to Bring You Savings on...
Replies
Views
Morning all, Apologies for the delay in posting this. I've moved house and we had to wait for...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.