Discuss slate mosaic tiles with less than 1mm gap - can't grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jofusmofus

Hi all,
I've not done much tilling so apologise if this is a silly question and please answer in layman's terms!
I've got some Uncalibrated Linear slate mosaic tiles from Topps to lay in a bath shower area. Now I'm looking at them I've realised the joints between the pre glued together tiles are tiny. There's no way I could grout them. I mentioned this to the guy in topps and he said I need a trowel that will ensure a solid bed of waterproof adhesive behind the tiles and then they'll be waterproof in a shower area. And I don't grout them. What are your thoughts and what kind of trowel would you use?

Thanks in advance

I've seen these tiles before, used them to make a bath panel. I would definately use tanking membrane or gum, if you really want to go for it.

I'd say go back to the tile manufacturers and ask them to be more specific about the type of adhesive. My understanding, from what you describe, is that you would need an epoxy based adhesive. I think black or dark grey Mapei Kerapoxy may also be suitable for these tiles, as I seem to recall the manufacturer instructions stating it can also be used as an adhesive, I'd use a 2 or 3mm mosaic trowel. You'll have to check this for yourself though, as I am fairly new to this.

With that all said....I have to agree with Sir Ramic, I wouldn't want to use them in a shower area!

It just seems to risky not having the small gaps filled. Even if you tank and use a truely waterproof adhesive, there's still gonna be soapscum build up and mould eventually, which will be difficult to remove from inside the gaps.

J

jofusmofus

Thanks for all the help guys.
Yes they're planned to go on the walls. It's just a strip of them vertically behind the over bath shower really.
I appreciate all your comments and help. It's Topps Tiles Trade rapid set flexible adhesive I've been given....any ideas on it's waterproofing ability?!
I'm going to get in touch with the manufacturer of the actual tiles (once I work out who that actually is) and see what their recommendations are.
Does anyone know of any tiles similar to this slate mosaic style which maybe do have joints which can be grouted?! There's a link below of the tiles for an idea of what we want I just can't find any similar anywhere really in case my plan with these falls through.
NSM Uncalibrated Slate Linear Mosaic | Topps Tiles

And if it does turn out to be a bad idea....does any one want to buy some tiles!? 53 of them!

Cheers

They are very similar tiles as I fitted before, but the one's I had were all same length - normal brickbond.

The adhesive TOPPS sold you is cement based, meaning it will still allow water to penetrate but not damage it.

As already said, you could tank the walls, to stop the water penetrating further. However, I still beleive you would suffer from mould long term, due to soapscum buildup in the small gaps (even using a premium sealer).

If your still wanting to reasearch it, I would check suitability with tile manufacturer for use in a shower, and what they would recommend as an adhesive - epoxy based or cement & tanking.

I'm feeling for ya, because I thought the tiles look very nice too. I would have them in my house - I wouldn't risk it in the shower though!!

Maybe use a more regular calibrated slate mosaic that has 2mm grout lines, if that goes with the rest of your tiling scheme?

Good Luck, and let us know if you need any more advice.

Last edited:
D

Dave Ramsden

Is this the tile in question?

5040724307_046bfe5c32_s.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46882102@N07/5040724307/in/set-72157625071438516/

I was talking about this the other day, You can get some that are sealed behind so they dont need grouting but I wouldnt reccomend them in a wet area. The ones pictures arent grouted

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jofusmofus

Again, thank you all for the sound advice. I have been in touch with the manufacturer of the tiles and they tell me they are fine to use in shower areas but I need to use Homelux matting behind them. And make sure I seal them with several coats when they're fixed.
So I think I'll take the advice of the manufacturer and go for it but has anyone any advice for using homelux? Is it layed ontop of a layer of cement adhesive? Any other advice when using it? And does anyone know where's cheapest to buy it? 50quid for a 5 metre roll is about the cheapest I've found so far.

Thanks again guys, I'll upload some pics when I've finished....probably in about a years time at this rate!

Reply to slate mosaic tiles with less than 1mm gap - can't grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Morning everyone! We've had PVC wall panels installed in our bathroom, the boss bought glass /...
Replies
Views
Ok I am fitting the tile trim L shaped aluminium profile around the window, Dave you are right...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some expert advice and hopefully some reassurance.... I've just had a complete...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
slate mosaic tiles with less than 1mm gap - can't grout
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.