Discuss slate mosaic tiles with less than 1mm gap - can't grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi, not the same slate, but tight joints. I grouted this in Norcross grey, once sealed it was fine:thumbsup:

Attachments

• jotm9.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 61
Thanks for letting us know what the manufacturers said. So they do rely on a WP tanking membrane for a wet area. The homelux matting is tanking/waterproof membrane that also just happens to be supplied by TOPPS, so I think you could follow any of the previous advice about tanking products. I think as the manufacturer sell tiles to topps, they are just referring your back to them for another sale.

As I used these tiles before, I think grouting might detract from the overall sleek look they give, as they are uncalibrated and almost butted up to each other. I recall the sharp corners will pretty much rip your sponge to bits anyway, so grouting would be very difficult to clean up.

That said I still agree with Jay about the possibility of mould so as you decided to go ahead with it, then be prepared and try to keep them well maintained. If you do get problems in the future, my advice would be to treat it chemically, and then try some fine grout. Otherwise you'll be looking at removing and replacing them. And as they are slate tiles, I would give them at least 1 coat of sealer before you fix them too.

Good Luck with it, a pic is always nice no matter how long it takes

S

Shoggers

I have the exact same predicament
Just laid some nice 40x40 slate tiles on the floor in a long thin bathroom. I wanted to use these tiles on the end feature wall where the shower is located, but having read all these comments I'm not sure now.
I have seen similar looking ones but porcelain/ceramic and they dont quite have the quality finish im looking for.
Please let us all know what you decide with this and I think I will hold off buying them for a while.

Reply to slate mosaic tiles with less than 1mm gap - can't grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Morning everyone! We've had PVC wall panels installed in our bathroom, the boss bought glass /...
Replies
Views
Ok I am fitting the tile trim L shaped aluminium profile around the window, Dave you are right...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some expert advice and hopefully some reassurance.... I've just had a complete...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
slate mosaic tiles with less than 1mm gap - can't grout
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.