Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Slate Tile Help (Possible nightmare) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hey all,
in a situation at the moment, I work out the country and basically moved in a new house and have been getting building works done etc when i was away.
Anyway I was getting black slate tiles fitted in my kitchen, when i came home he had left word with my girlfriend the job was complete but all that needed done was the slate tiles cleaned and sealed and left the bottles for the job to be done by us (Strange, yes i know).
Anyways when i came home the tiles were heavy white with obvious grout residue so i followed the instructions on the bottle of the HG grout/stain remover to begin cleaning the tiles. Took me about 4/5 coats of this stuff before the tiles actually became normal.
After this i allowed a few days before sealing with LTP colour intesifier natural stone cleaner. Again i followed instructions and allowed to cure with more than enough time.
Now after all that it seems when im getting a splash of water on the floor or walking on the slate with say bare feet that sometimes like the outline comes up with the heavy white kind of grout stain again, ive tried to clean with clean water but the stain comes back to the white patch as before.
Totally not sure where to go from here any help will be much appriciated. Ive spoke with my gf who quickly poppped her head in etc when he was working away and had asked her if he sealed the tiles before laying she doesnt think so, could this be the problem?

J

jay

After this i allowed a few days before sealing with LTP colour intesifier natural stone cleaner. Again i followed instructions and allowed to cure with more than enough time.
Now after all that it seems when im getting a splash of water on the floor or walking on the slate with say bare feet that sometimes like the outline comes up with the heavy white kind of grout stain again, ive tried to clean with clean water but the stain comes back to the white patch as before.

the lpt product you used what was it called (sealer or cleaner)

H

Hoggins

the lpt product you used what was it called (sealer or cleaner)

Ah sorry was sealer

typo.

H

Hoggins

Hey pics as posted

2cy00ep.jpg
<< Seleant

2r3gtg5.jpg
<<< Staining

bit of further info spoke with GF on phone and she said when tiler was leaving he told her to used flash to help clean the floor aswell.

H

Hoggins

Basically when i had come home

The gf had tried cleaning with flash and then put on one coat of the hg grout/cement remover on the tiles.

When i came home the tiles where still drastically white and dusty of i continued with maybe three 3 more coats of the hg stuff following the instructions, apply, then clean off with wet cloth. left around 3-4 hours between applying the coats. The once finished last coat wiped off etc i left for at least 24 hours.

I then began to use the sealer above and again followed instructions of use and left around 6-8 hours between coats applying 2 overall.

J

jay

looks a lot like there has been moisture trapped under sealer causing it to go white (think they call it blooming over there )could be some sort of chemical reaction due to the flash used (not something id recommend ) i could be wrong but i think it needs stripping back then cleaning then let dry about 48 hours then re sealing

sorry not the news you wanted
others will be on soon they might have better answers good luck

jay:8:

H

Hoggins

looks a lot like there has been moisture trapped under sealer causing it to go white (think they call it blooming over there )could be some sort of chemical reaction due to the flash used (not something id recommend ) i could be wrong but i think it needs stripping back then cleaning then let dry about 48 hours then re sealing

sorry not the news you wanted
others will be on soon they might have better answers good luck

jay:8:

Cheers for the information.

It seems its only some of the tiles though, ive tried to like splash some water on some of the other tiles at the backdoor to see if the same reaction happens but they seem to be fine.

Ill see what the general consensus is, then ill probs troop off to get more tiling products :(

Next time im finding a tiler on here, surely any tiler coming to do a job should finish it start to finish from the laying to the treatments or am i way off the mark.

Incidentally i cant get hold of the tiler i got to do it.

Reply to Slate Tile Help (Possible nightmare) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Pro help please... i have a large outside area 6msq approximately...ive just had a concrete...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. Have a tiler coming in to do my floor tiles but don't think he's done a...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Slate Tile Help (Possible nightmare)
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.