Discuss SLC Top Tips Please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Smudger

Hi Top Tilers.

Tiling a floor tomorrow (brazilian slate) about 8 sq m. Floor too uneven to make good with addy as I go, but haven't used slc for a while (long while) and could do with a couple of top tips learnt from your combined years of experience and expertise!
It is a square utility room laid with concrete and has been painted some time previously (mostly worn now). Here is what I am intending.
Remove any loose/flaky paint with stiff brush, use laser level to identify/mark different levels, start in far corner and apply slc.
Why main questions are: What is best slc? WHat is the best consistency? Can I tile in same day? ARe there any special things to look out for/ be aware of.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
i use fibreplan which to be honest is the closest slc that ive found that actually self levels,also tried webber rs slc recentyly and it was also very good

highlight your high points/dips and work to eliminate these witth a trowel,work as close to the room as possible and keep a bucket of water spare for cleaning your gear down as you go

baton any edges of rooms that have holes and also baton the door so it doesnt come into another room,silicone the bottom of the batons to seal them in

P

peckers

I use ardex arditex na its a 2 part slc its not the cheapest but it does almost every thing! and its the best free flowing 2 part that i have found!
Make sure you have everything ready before you start.
fill any holes where it can escape.
across the doorway i always put down a piece of doorstop and seal with silicone against the floor(this can be removed when slc is dry easily)
some manufacturers say to prime the floor others say to dampen with water(check on the bag) but if you prime with sbr then let it dry before you apply the slc dont put it down when its tacky as it seems to slow down the self levelling imo.
mix to a smooth lump free cosistency.
poor out the slc not all in one spot try to gauge it so as it flows and spreads itself over an area of about 3-4m2
Push it around with a steel float to the required thickness(I use a boat steel float)
then do your next mix and repat until fully covered.
make sure the edges of the place you just put the slc stays wet so as the next lot that goes down next to it can all run into each other nicely.(IE dont stop for a cuppa till your done)
some use a spiked roller i never have, :thumbsup:

S

Scott

Push it around with a steel float to the required thickness(I use a boat steel float)
then do your next mix and repat until fully covered.
make sure the edges of the place you just put the slc stays wet so as the next lot that goes down next to it can all run into each other nicely.(IE dont stop for a cuppa till your done)
some use a spiked roller i never have, :thumbsup:

How deep is your slc steve? :eek:

Reply to SLC Top Tips Please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
M
Hi Guy's, been a member a short while since planning a new shower room install. Trying to take...
Replies
Views
Hi All, after a short time off the tools my first job back and im having a head scratching...
Replies
Views
J
Hi everyone, I'm renovating an apartment floor that is tiled about 80sqm. It has a very badly...
Replies
Views
jaykruger
J
C
Just some advice please guys. following on from my previous thread I've reset all my markers...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
SLC Top Tips Please
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.