Discuss SLC Top Tips Please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Smudger

Yeah, Peckers. I wasn't planning on swimming in it (although by the time I've got it level I'll probably be able to touch the ceiling!):smilewinkgrin:

Great advice, thanks for all the input. Top site because its full of top people! Had a quick look at the slate when I went round and it all looks pretty uniform. The floor however, was covered in crap (looked like he had just been on "Cash in the Attic") so not sure how level, someone else had looked and suggested it would need slc, I'll see when the rooms empty and I can get a level on it. Once again, thanks to everyone for the very sound advice.:thumbsup:

S

SandyFloor

Sandy what SLC do you use for Karndean? Im really keen on the whole karndean/amtico stuff but not the slc!

F.Ball Stopgap 300 for over concrete and 700 flexible. The difference is in the finish in that it's extremely smooth. Anything you want know just ask me.

F Ball - The First Choice for Flooring Professionals - Smoothing Underlayments

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Peter

Spiked roller is a waste of money imo, more for resin paints, doesn't make it any flatter.

Used to find levelling quite difficult until I bought myself a feather edge. Been doing quite a bit of SLC work since I bought it and it's paid for itself within the first square metre. Spread out in the general working area with a flooring trowel then run the feather edge over it. Where I was usually using 5 bags, the feather ege spreads it far enough to cover in 3. You're basically running off the highest part of the floor as your level rather than setting levels above and beyond what's needed.

Some of my previous SLC attempts were like motocross tracks.

Spikey rollers do not level slc you need a comb 5mm teeth and 500mm wide it gives a good even bed of slc and then run through it witht the spikey roller to remove bubbles any deeper then you can use a pin leveller to get the rough levels correct and a thin slc coat to give the neat finish

tilers in theory dont need to to slc a floor to a smooth standard needed for Karndean / Amtico but if you do then your customers will see the quality of your initial work then any doubts they have will disappear as quick as the bubbles in the slc

F Ball stopgap is v good but i struggle to get it so i enjoy the Bal one which i cant think of the name of it
Utzin is the best i have used but v pricey

S

Smudger

I'll add this on here but not sure anyone will see it. As the floor is so deep in places I'm umming & ahhing about how best to approach it. Should I section it of, perhaps into 4 sections and do each separately? I'm worried about the slc spreading out too thin and getting in a mess with it. The other option is that there is a ridge running across the centre of the room which is causing the deep areas. Would I perhaps be better to try to shave this area down with a grinder before levelling the room as this would save slc and make the job easier (the ridge is quite large though).:mad2:

S

Spud

most tilers do the slc the night before the tiling job pour out the compound and have the tools washed up and packed away and drive home while the slc is still wet , come in the next morning and find ridges and trowel marks,there is a time window as the slc goes off where it is hard enough to take your weight to walk on and soft enough to scrape any high points or ridges off with a steel float, its usually about an 1 and 40 minutes to 2hrs from when its mixed i recommend that when levelling you give it enough time that you can get on it while its green and check it with your 2m straight edge and shave off any high points that may or maybe not there

Reply to SLC Top Tips Please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
M
Hi Guy's, been a member a short while since planning a new shower room install. Trying to take...
Replies
Views
Hi All, after a short time off the tools my first job back and im having a head scratching...
Replies
Views
J
Hi everyone, I'm renovating an apartment floor that is tiled about 80sqm. It has a very badly...
Replies
Views
jaykruger
J
C
Just some advice please guys. following on from my previous thread I've reset all my markers...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
SLC Top Tips Please
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.