Discuss SLC virgin in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

Hi Guys, Thanks to Phil for the assist. We use "mud" for anything to do with mortar.:thumbsup:

We use "screed" as a noun-to describe the straightedge that we use to cut the mud, and the work of placing and shaping the mud bed is "pulling mud" or "floating mud". Phil knows all of this from his time in the US...he's just as mixed up as I am here. :smilewinkgrin:

Scott, did you see the Youtubes videos I posted a while back? There are four of them made by one of my internet tile setter buddies from Souther California. He does a really nice job showing how to float a tub surround.

S

Scott

Hi Guys, Thanks to Phil for the assist. We use "mud" for anything to do with mortar.:thumbsup:

We use "screed" as a noun-to describe the straightedge that we use to cut the mud, and the work of placing and shaping the mud bed is "pulling mud" or "floating mud". Phil knows all of this from his time in the US...he's just as mixed up as I am here. :smilewinkgrin:

Scott, did you see the Youtubes videos I posted a while back? There are four of them made by one of my internet tile setter buddies from Souther California. He does a really nice job showing how to float a tub surround.

Was that the guy who formed the wetroom floor? If it is yes i saw them

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Rob that takes me back, exact same method as we used to use, just different terms. We call float strips runners, and we never had resin floats for the final rub up, we use plastic floats, same thing. This method imo is the best ever, the expanded metal fixed to the wall gives a perfect key for the mud (compo).

The fact the he rubs up the mud when it is a little to wet and doesn't close it in fully, gives extra key for the tile.

Just one question Rob, does he tile the next day? I know we used to. we now have curing times, for both floating or pulling mud (rendering or screeding sand and cement).

Thanks for sharing I missed it the first time.:thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

Hi Phil

Jack probably does tile the next day. Some old-school guys "wet-set" the same day.

Because I am working in old houses, I usually do the "scratch and float", ie: a scratch coat, followed up the next day with the final coat. Some of these end up at almost two inches thick, and I give them at least a week or so before doing anything else on the walls.

For floors, I usually wait a day or so.

C

charlie1

Hi Phil

Jack probably does tile the next day. Some old-school guys "wet-set" the same day.

Because I am working in old houses, I usually do the "scratch and float", ie: a scratch coat, followed up the next day with the final coat. Some of these end up at almost two inches thick, and I give them at least a week or so before doing anything else on the walls.

For floors, I usually wait a day or so.

Hi Rob,

Just seen your origonal vids and very impressed with the skill involved with that type of work!! Question is, why not just dot dab plasterboard? thats the way i would fix out a bad wall ove here.

R

Rob Z

Hi Charlie,

I should make it clear that I am not on those videos---those are done by a tile setter I know via another tile forum that's based in the US.

I was stumped for a minute, thinking about why no one here would "dot and dab" boards onto the wall...then I remembered that you have so much block construction there, whereas we are mostly stick-framed. The tradition has been for more than a hundred years to float mortar over metal or wood lath. The closest I have ever come to doing things the way you guys do it is when I have done a few basement showers, and I bonded Wedi board over the block with thinset.

I have some pictures somewhere that show the whole process, start to finish, from installing the paper, the lath, setting the float strips, mixing the mud, and so forth. I'll try to get those organized and post them here in the site.:thumbsup:

Reply to SLC virgin in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
It seems I neglected to say hello, very remiss of me... During all the covid lockdowns I signed...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

macten

Esteemed
Arms
TF
Nottingham

Thread Information

Title
SLC virgin
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.