Discuss Sloping bathroom/ceiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

rj1884

Good afternoon all. Went to look at a job today. See pictures. The customer wants to remove existing tiles and replace with new tiles covering the same area as the existing tiles do. He seems to think that the person who tiled the existing area was a DIYer. My first question having not tiled a sloping wall before is is that the norm that the horizontal grout lines don't match up by that much.
The walls are plasterboard which more then likely will have to be repaired once the existing tiles are removed. The customer is looking at using 60x30 tiles on this area which I think maybe to heavy to fix to that particular wall. Can you give me some advise on the way to go about tiling this sloping wall/ceiling in particular the way of getting them to stay on the wall without them moving whilst the adhesive is drying. I normally use ardex adhesives and was thinking of X77.

Many thanks in advance..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 128
R

rj1884

Thanks for your replies. I'll have another chat to the regarding types of tiles they want. Wilder, I've tried looking for those props but can't find them., can you assist whether they've got a particular name.
with regards to setting out is it a case of getting all the levels correct and going from there or is there anything extra to take into account when tiling from a straight wall to the sloping wall to ensure the grouts line match up

many thanks.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
http://www.NoLinksToThis/p/extension-support-rod/14003

I use them for window heads ,but they will work ,just put a baton along the length and fix both props either side.
Or do it the other way,cut some batons down to hight and a length along the top and wedge in.
As for the angle,the problem you have is obviously when you cut the wall tile at the angle it's now bigger or smaller than the original tile ,so it's nigh on impossible to line up the grout lines,I'm sure if it's possible one of the chaps will know a way.

And Alan p,yes if it's prepped right,and right materials used ,not a problem..

CJ,a m2 of 600x300 are most probably lighter than a m2 of 30x30 porca.
And a 3m length of ornate cornice falling from a 10 foot ceiling will hurt a lot more than a little 600x300 tile falling 2foot on the heed while washing your hole in a bath

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Lol, no idea. Found it on Google!
Of course the old Pythagorean theorem,here's my thesis on Pythagoras and his theory's from my days with the jolly boys at eton :) :)

In mathematics, the Pythagorean theorem—or Pythagoras' theorem—is a relation in Euclidean geometry among the three sides of a right triangle. It states that the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. The theorem can be written as an equation relating the lengths of the sides a, b and c, often called the Pythagorean equation:[1]

where c represents the length of the hypotenuse, and a and b represent the lengths of the other two sides.
The Pythagorean theorem is named after the Greek mathematician Pythagoras (ca. 570 BC—ca. 495 BC), who by tradition is credited with its proof,[2][3] although it is often argued that knowledge of the theorem predates him. There is evidence that Babylonian mathematicians understood the formula, although there is little surviving evidence that they used it in a mathematical framework.[4][5] Also, Mesopotamian, Indian and Chinese mathematicians have all been known for independently discovering the result, some even providing proofs of special cases.
The theorem has numerous proofs, possibly the most of any mathematical theorem. These are very diverse, including both geometric proofs and algebraic proofs, with some dating back thousands of years. The theorem can be generalized in various ways, including higher-dimensional spaces, to spaces that are not Euclidean, to objects that are not right triangles, and indeed, to objects that are not triangles at all, but n-dimensional solids. The Pythagorean theorem has attracted interest outside mathematics as a symbol of mathematical abstruseness, mystique, or intellectual power; popular references in literature, plays, musicals, songs, stamps and cartoons abound.

Written and produced by
Widler :)

M

mike1979

It's a matter of opinion each to their own unless your setting out is absolutely perfect it would be hard to link that slope up to the walls if it was me I'd consider keeping the slope independent to the walls and make a feature out of it and mosiac it but it's hard to give advise without looking at it but with the right walls tiles mosaics on that slope would look ok I think

C

charlie1

The adhesive will hold the tiles no problem. As for making the grout lines join then it can be done depending on what tile you choose. I have done in the past with 60 x 30 ceramics, I think they where called travertine (marble effect from tile giant), so I basically made the tiles larger by joining the with near invisible results. Best solution IMO would be to pick a different contrasting tile for the sloping wall and make a feature of it. I think your biggest concern should be the flatness of the sloping ceiling though and how level it is where it joins the main walls. Can be tricky, you don't want to be packing tiles out at all in this situation so prep will be key.

Reply to Sloping bathroom/ceiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all, have tiled small areas before but trying to create a wetroom.. I have read a lot of...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello I need to rip out and refit my bathroom, including retiling a bath area which will have a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB