Discuss Sloping bathroom/ceiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

rj1884

Good afternoon all. Went to look at a job today. See pictures. The customer wants to remove existing tiles and replace with new tiles covering the same area as the existing tiles do. He seems to think that the person who tiled the existing area was a DIYer. My first question having not tiled a sloping wall before is is that the norm that the horizontal grout lines don't match up by that much.
The walls are plasterboard which more then likely will have to be repaired once the existing tiles are removed. The customer is looking at using 60x30 tiles on this area which I think maybe to heavy to fix to that particular wall. Can you give me some advise on the way to go about tiling this sloping wall/ceiling in particular the way of getting them to stay on the wall without them moving whilst the adhesive is drying. I normally use ardex adhesives and was thinking of X77.

Many thanks in advance..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 128

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
and if it fails it is on you

Ha ha ha yes deano,stating the obvious , but if its done right why should it fail ?
Jesus, how many bloody window heads have we all tiled, or do all you' its gonna kill you' folk just paint them?
Anyhow it,im not bothered , do as you wish thread starter.
Im off,things to do and people to kill with my workmanship ��

Last edited by a moderator:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
You can make the grout joints meet dependant on which way you fix the tiles and whether a tile larger than 60x30 is available.

If you fix landscape so the 30cm (side A) is vertical and the slope of the roof is 45 degrees, then the adjacent length will also be 30cm (side B).

Therefore, you multiply 30 x 30 (side A) answer is 900. The same for side B.

900 + 900 =1800

The square root of 1800 = 42.42

Then the minimum size of tile required would be 60x43. If they do a 60x45 then you will be able to match the joints on the sloping wall. Alternatively, 60x60 would also suffice.

Simples.

It's all down to the prep though. If you don't get that right and fix tiles to the slope then please provide customer a list of helmet sizes available and where to purchase :helmet:

Last edited:
C

charlie1

You can make the grout joints meet dependant on which way you fix the tiles and whether a tile larger than 60x30 is available.

If you fix landscape so the 30cm (side A) is vertical and the slope of the roof is 45 degrees, then the adjacent length will also be 30cm (side B).

Therefore, you multiply 30 x 30 (side A) answer is 900. The same for side B.

900 + 900 =1800

The square root of 1800 = 42.42

Then the minimum size of tile required would be 60x43. If they do a 60x45 then you will be able to match the joints on the sloping wall. Alternatively, 60x60 would also suffice.

Simples.

It's all down to the prep though. If you don't get that right and fix tiles to the slope then please provide customer a list of helmet sizes available and where to purchase :helmet:

Based on the extremely rare eventuality that the slope is set at 45 degrees then your logic may well work out john!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Sloping bathroom/ceiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all, have tiled small areas before but trying to create a wetroom.. I have read a lot of...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello I need to rip out and refit my bathroom, including retiling a bath area which will have a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB