Discuss Small Misunderstanding in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

AMtek

Text a customer this morning with a price for a job.

Hours later I got a text back saying "lol". I thought he was taking the pee because he thought my price was too high.
I simply replied "?". HIs reply to this "haha thanks for the quote" at this point I went off on one about him taking the pee and if he wants it done on the cheap then be my guest but don't come crying to me when it goes wrong.

His next reply was to explain that the "lol" was meant to go to someone else and the haha was because he had sent me the previous message by accident and that even though he was still waiting for another quote coming in he would like me to do the job :oops:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'd never do business via text message I think it's really unprofessional. And every chance you have to speak to your clients is another chance to get on with them really well and get them to remember you. So I'd have called them and even afterwards emailing them a decent professional quote/estimate.

Hate text messages at the best of times. I think I have about 7 or 8 messaging apps on my phone as various friends use various ones and it does my head in when they message me with something just like 'doin?' - grrrrrrr

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I send a text now and again, whats the difference between a text and email ?
I text so its on my phone and i don't forget ,or i email,most customers ask me to either text or email now.
Although i did a job last week and they wanted a invoice POSTING,then posted it back with a cheque and a letter saying a job well done ,weird folk about ! (Lovely folk though)
Ps i don't slang text quotes, its wrote like a quote :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I think the thing with texts or emails is the fact that it can be done and assumed it has been received.

So a customer sends a text day before job starts "sorry got another tiler" just doesn't cut it for me.

And the more you do by text the more ch ace you have of them not phoning instead.

I'd try to speak to customers on the phone as often as possible if I were a tiler, I'd email quotes only, not discuss too much via email tho, and I'd never text them. Ever.

Like I said, I have emailed in the past. But not texted.
Like on here, I have a signature at the bottom of each email.

I wouldn't do any final arrangements over email though, only due to professionalism and being on the safe side like you said Dan.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I never phone ! Just don't like the sound of them hitting the floor after the 'how much!' it's
much safer to send an email as you both have a copy and it's much quicker to send than posting. Best time to send is after lights go out on Tilers Forum and they are just dozing off when 'ping' they've received a message!

You have a real cruel streak John,:lol:

Reply to Small Misunderstanding in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB