Discuss Small shower room wet area advice in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

B

BlueToffee

I am in the process of converting an existing shower room (previously shower tray and curtain) to a wet area (size 1375 x 830) for the shower only....the two pictures are 1. my existing and 2. What im looking to achieve, my proposals and questions are as follows:

1. Studded wall on lhs to be faced with marmox or similar

2. Preformed shower tray (impey or Tuff2 type) to be screwed directly onto existing 22mm floorboards levellled if required

3. Back wall - was hoping to just get away with tanking this in someway but due to the plaster/render and the difference in levels im not sure if this is possible...advice please...i dont really want to stud wall it as the depth from wall to door frame is only 830mm and i want to keep as much width as possible.

4. Access kerb - was looking at screwing down 4 x 4 timber then clad with marmox and overlay with tilesafe membrane along with shower tray, unless there are preformed units I can buy, the only ones I have seen are from USA (kerdi curb) the reason for this is twofold - one because of the close proximity to the door frame so reduce water egress and two because OH wants cushionfloor in the sink/toilet area :mad2:

5. Shower screen - Aluminium screen channels set between the tiles (mosaic tarvertine) on back wall and kerb and slide in 8/10mm glass screen with support bar across the top, i wanted it like this to try and eliminate any egress of water from a bottom seal of the shower screen due to door frame being so close.

6. Existing shower to be replaced with mira mixer valve

7. Tape all joints on floor with tilesafe and vertical joints with glass fibre tanking tape

I think that is pretty much it, please let me know if I have missed anything...any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Boston-20130313-00392.jpg 2a.jpg

S

SJPurdy

Item 3 the back wall. I'd be a bit concerned about the weight of tiling you want to put on this old wall surface. Consider removing the plaster (plasterboard?) if possible (just the high spots and then overlay if not) and then glue and screw/washer fix the tilebacker board (e.g. Wedi (I think Marmox is very similar) to this wall to provide a good load bearing flat surface to tile onto.

Upvote 0
B

BlueToffee

Item 3 the back wall. I'd be a bit concerned about the weight of tiling you want to put on this old wall surface. Consider removing the plaster (plasterboard?) if possible (just the high spots and then overlay if not) and then glue and screw/washer fix the tilebacker board (e.g. Wedi (I think Marmox is very similar) to this wall to provide a good load bearing flat surface to tile onto.

Thanks SJP, I am looking at travertine tiles so yes may look at hardibacker and fix with mechanical and adhesive then, I have another external block wall yet to strip (window wall) was hoping i could get away with tiling on that without back boarding...but will replace all studded plasterboard with tile backer of some description.

Upvote 0
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Small shower room wet area advice in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
We've had a wet room installed upstairs using the Impey wet room system (see attached). The...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB