UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Smoothing / levelling for glassfibre balcony floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

warric48

Hi all - I've been a member here for a couple of years, but this is my first post! I have picked up a lot of very useful information from all the experts, mainly helping me with a flat conversion that my wife and I organised. It is a problem to do with that which brings me to ask my first question.

We have a semi-circular balcony (external), which has timber joists with a marine ply base and sides (about 250mm high). This then had several layers of glass fibre installed over it, to make absolutely certain it was waterproof. We wanted porcelain tiles on the balcony, but for some reason that I can't now remember, we arranged with the tiler to put Dukkaboard down on the glassfibre surface first. Of course, he couldn't use screws to fix it, so used tile adhesive (not sure what sort). The tiles went on top, and within about 7 or 8 months, some of them were moving up and down, with a squelching noise as the water which had collected underneath moved around. Failure of the Dukkaboard adhesive to the glassfibre appears to be the problem (we have taken one tile up to inspect.

The job needs to be re-done, this time without the Dukkaboard. However, the tiler doesn't know how to level off the glassfibre surface. There are a few lumps and bumps in it, also rounded corners where it goes up the sides, this makes it tricky to lay tiles right up to the edge. Also, the glassfibre surface is more or less level, and we need to have a surface with a fall towards the drain, in one corner.

Does anybody have any idea as to what we can use to smooth off the surface before laying the tiles? Some sort of SLC, I suppose, although we need the surface to be sloping down to the drain. Obviously, it also needs to be a good adhere to glassfibre.

I wondered if PCI Collastic would be good for the tile adhesive, does anybody have experience of using this?

Thanks very much in anticipation of your help.

Richard

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Smoothing / levelling for glassfibre balcony floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.