Discuss So You Tile, What Else Do You Do And Why? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Just tiling here, I do occasionally do the odd bit of woodwork for building frames/boxings etc, also plasterboarding. Mainly prep related stuff. I have been referred to as a professional moaner but, I've found that that doesn't pay very well so I just do it in my spare time :)

Under no circumstances will I ever trim a door or a plinth, that is not my job :D

O

Old Mod

I'll do pretty much same as Bri, most any prep work if I think I can get it done to a good standard, and before someone else can be brought in if its gonna hold me up.
Can turn my hands to most things and definitely have the tool box, depends how I feel on the day or whether the client is someone I want to help above and beyond! Haha
Sometimes I'll do whatever it takes to provide the service I want to give to that particular client.
Having said all that, that kind of service only gets given once I'm on site!
When I'm given a project, it's purely as a tiler, I don't confess to be able to do any other trade until my feet are under the table! Haha

M

mattle40

I'd like to know where u find time to do all this cross training! Haha
Admirable tho! :)
Thankyou:relaxed: I've had a rocky decade believe me lol. Picking my direction was always my downfall, always wanting something new/different. Right after my electrical apprenticeship I had a huge fallout with the old man and ended up homeless for 8 months ish. Then I got a chance to start from scratch training as a tiler so I took it. Unorthodox but it's what I needed. My most recent slip up was trusting a "friend" of mine who said they would get me gas qualifications. I gave them 2 years cheap labour for them to say they weren't willing to accommodate me doing gas, so I quit after getting my plumbing ticket and set up on my own. 2 months later, here I am

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spare Tool

Do most of my own prep work, bit of joinery but try to keep away from the plumbing side after a few nightmares and disasters with toilets..
Was in print finishing from leaving school till age 36, got made redundant a few weeks after signing up for a new house and had the whole house to do up, had a tiler round to quote on bathroom and kitchen, he quoted £1200, looked online and found the NETT week course for under £500 and thought I could do that, did that course n tiled my own bathroom n kitchen then just from going in local tile shop for materials got chatting to the staff in there, they mentioned there's hardly any tilers round here, got some business cards done and left them in the shop, was very daunting calling myself a tiler after a week course and a kitchen and bathroom under my belt but it took off straight away..my first ever paying job was 600x300 porc brickbond in a bathroom, walls n floor and all in rapidset as didn't know about standard set, id like to go back n see that job..

O

Old Mod

Do most of my own prep work, bit of joinery but try to keep away from the plumbing side after a few nightmares and disasters with toilets..
Was in print finishing from leaving school till age 36, got made redundant a few weeks after signing up for a new house and had the whole house to do up, had a tiler round to quote on bathroom and kitchen, he quoted £1200, looked online and found the NETT week course for under £500 and thought I could do that, did that course n tiled my own bathroom n kitchen then just from going in local tile shop for materials got chatting to the staff in there, they mentioned there's hardly any tilers round here, got some business cards done and left them in the shop, was very daunting calling myself a tiler after a week course and a kitchen and bathroom under my belt but it took off straight away..my first ever paying job was 600x300 porc brickbond in a bathroom, walls n floor and all in rapidset as didn't know about standard set, id like to go back n see that job..
Haha so would I Andy!
lol-045.gif

J

Just Rizzle

do about 60%tiling and 40% vinyl mainly karndean
have teamed up with a mate of mine whose a plumber and are doing more and more bathroom fits. I do the tiling and ripping out and we both do the making good .he dose the plumbing and we only use copper with machine bends.
by diversifying keeps us busy and every weeks different and interesting. also it opens up new avenues of work ,like last week got a job for 2 bathrooms and also wants the whole house doing in karndean flooring 3 bedrooms hall kitchen and living & dining room :)

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

Thankyou:relaxed: I've had a rocky decade believe me lol. Picking my direction was always my downfall, always wanting something new/different. Right after my electrical apprenticeship I had a huge fallout with the old man and ended up homeless for 8 months ish. Then I got a chance to start from scratch training as a tiler so I took it. Unorthodox but it's what I needed. My most recent slip up was trusting a "friend" of mine who said they would get me gas qualifications. I gave them 2 years cheap labour for them to say they weren't willing to accommodate me doing gas, so I quit after getting my plumbing ticket and set up on my own. 2 months later, here I am

Well fair play to u my friend, talking of friends (not off topic @Andy Allen )
What is your name fella? Matt? (Hopefly haha)
I digress! Nearly :), take my hat off to ya!
U've done well then, and ur how old....ish? ;)
Well I'm an ex Royal Naval Aircraft Electronics Engineer , Radar, Sonar, radio communications that kinda thing. (the engineer bit is where I get my anal side!) haha
Also Guided Missle Engineer.
And now I'm a tiler! Haha so know all about re training!
A whole lotta other crap in middle but I won't bore u! :)

M

mattle40

Well fair play to u my friend, talking of friends (not off topic @Andy Allen )
What is your name fella? Matt? (Hopefly haha)
I digress! Nearly :), take my hat off to ya!
U've done well then, and ur how old....ish? ;)
Well I'm an ex Royal Naval Aircraft Electronics Engineer , Radar, Sonar, radio communications that kinda thing. (the engineer bit is where I get my anal side!) haha
Also Guided Missle Engineer.
And now I'm a tiler! Haha so know all about re training!
A whole lotta other crap in middle but I won't bore u! :)
Thanks pal, yes it's Matt. I'm just a pup at 28 but squeezed a lot into my years, feel like I'm 50 lol.
Wow well that is a big career change, let me guess, "the tolerances were too high in missile engineering so u needed a challenge?"
Impressive cv anyway;)

O

Old Mod

Thanks pal, yes it's Matt. I'm just a pup at 28 but squeezed a lot into my years, feel like I'm 50 lol.
Wow well that is a big career change, let me guess, "the tolerances were too high in missile engineering so u needed a challenge?"
Impressive cv anyway;)
Yep summat like that Matt yes!
Well at 28 u've got a promising career ahead now eh!
We're a diverse lot us Tilers! Haha

Reply to So You Tile, What Else Do You Do And Why? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Wall & Floor Tiler Queensland Australia Tile Right About the role Seeking a Wall & Floor Tiler...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
PVA V PRIMERS – WHy you should never use PVA Glue when Wall Tiling Don’t listen to that idiot...
Replies
Views
This is the TilersForums.co.uk Tiling Advice Forum Discussion Thread TilersForums.co.uk, the...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB