Discuss So You Tile, What Else Do You Do And Why? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I left school at 16 had know idea what I wanted to do.....walked into the job centre seen a job for a trainee tiler went for an interview got the job and it's all I've ever done and I'm the big 50 next year.......I prep jobs for tiling .....patching plaster, re boarding ect...that's it, I work with a plumber on full refits calling in a spark or any other trade needed.......me and the plumber have been working together for 20 years now so it works well for us....:)

R

RDTiling

image.jpg

If you believe the BBC, a tiler is 82% likely to be replaced by a robot!

Better brush up on my plastering skills (75% likely) or failing that my plumbing skills (49% likely)

Last edited by a moderator:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Tradesman plasterer , served real plastering :) (like a few on here) not skimming, internal and external with a bit of tiling thrown in (it seemed to be the way around the ribble valley in the 70s/80s plasterers/tilers)
I hate plastering , bores me to death, funnily i love rendering though :fearscream:
Been tiling fully now more or less for around 10/15 years with 2 employees who do the plastering , i also plane my own doors and cut my own plinths :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::hearteyes:

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Liverpool
Started tiling straight from school, working for my then brother in law. An old fashioned apprenticeship, first 6 months was pretty much cleaning, fetching and observing. I worked 5 years in the family business before leaving Wales for Liverpool. After 2 weeks job hunting I ended up working in a big independent diy store selling tiles. After 2 years I'd re-tiled the floors, all the displays and brought in professional adhesives which in turn brought in the trade. We'd gone from running at a 13% loss to a 300% profit. I was on minimum wage with no prospect of promotion so went self employed. I'm still working on my own to this day, I've never had to advertise only ever worked through recommendation. I do most things now, plastering, Joinery, plumbing but I'm still very much a tiler. Sometimes I love the job but often hate it. Find myself getting bored very easily fixing tiles. Over the last 2 years I must have applied for more than 30 jobs just to get away from tiles. The most ambitious being trainee astronaut for virgin galactic, the buggers never even acknowledged my cv!

G

Gonzo1969

I trained as a quantity surveyor for 7 years. Big recession at the end of the eighties put me out of work at 23.
Started decorating and tiling. Then started a loft company and watched all the trades that I employed. Then joined in and had a go.

Now primarily a kitchen and bathroom fitter working on my own.

Plumbing; plastering; tiling; carpentry; decorating; LVT flooring; solid surface worktops; design.

Happy as a pig in sh*t.

Bailed on my Electronic Engineering degree for Tiling haha, had done an array of rubbish and good jobs alike before then.

Once time served so to speak went into partnership fitting bathrooms with with ex girlfriends dad who was a plumber and learned that trade from him then went on my own.

Rarely get anyone in no matter what the spec of the bathroom, confident with any trade really as the van has a tool for every job in it, haven't installed a boiler yet that's about it! And although I don't plaster I'm sure I can do it better than half the mugs out there probably the least cost of all tradesman tools to start up and really bugs me off when they turn up without certain items that cost next to nothing!

"Language Timothy!"

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to So You Tile, What Else Do You Do And Why? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Wall & Floor Tiler Queensland Australia Tile Right About the role Seeking a Wall & Floor Tiler...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
PVA V PRIMERS – WHy you should never use PVA Glue when Wall Tiling Don’t listen to that idiot...
Replies
Views
This is the TilersForums.co.uk Tiling Advice Forum Discussion Thread TilersForums.co.uk, the...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB