Guest viewing is limited
  • Thread starter TheWrightTiler
  • Start date
  • Replies 28
  • Views 3K
  • Tags
    usa

Discuss softy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TheWrightTiler

lo all

was doing a job for lady earlier in the week and she was a social worker, an old dear in her care and due to a fire at her home had to get her home fixed up and as she had no home insurance it was up to a cash strapped council to try and fix, the council tried to get things fixed as best they could,

she asked if i could pop round and have a look at the toilet to see how much it would cost to tile a bath surround and behind the loo, 10m2 all in as the tiler she had lined up couldnt do it

had a look and saw the state of the old dear and it hit me how little we look after the elderly in society, i know some do, i put both my neighbours bins in and out every week as they are old and even cut there grass would take me 2 half days as id have to work it round my other work but i told her id do it for free for her, i had some 430 x 300 tiles in my hut gathering dust and 30 quid on grout addy and trims would do the job

said to social worker i would have to have a space above the door bout 10mm as i like a full tile above the bath but i could fill it in with grout and as above door it wouldnt really be noticable and as it was a freebie she couldnt really moan

its not best ive done but really didnt have a lot of time to do it

id urge anyone here to contact their local social services to see if theres any work that may be required for free or heavily discounted as i felt quite good that id helped someone who needed my help

regards

andy

Attachments

• IMG00008-20100605-1306.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG00009-20100605-1306.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG00010-20100605-1307.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG00011-20100605-1307.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG00012-20100605-1307.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG00013-20100605-1307.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG00014-20100605-1307.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG00015-20100605-1307.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG00018-20100605-1308.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 82
D

Daz

Andy,

That's a very credible thing to do, good on you :thumbsup:.
With regards to a full tile off the bath, I tend to check a couple of points before I start.....

1. Find the lowest point of the bath and start the full tile from there. It looks a lot better to have nibbled the tiles so that the appearance of a full tile is all the way around the bath rather than unsightly slithers.

2. Mark your start point with regards to the rest of the room so that you can carry a full tile around the corners without leaving horrible slithers at the door architrave or other corners / features.

Your pictures do not necessarily show the full room layout or other issues that you had to overcome, but from what I can see you could have set the room out much more professionally had you applied a bit more thought.

Good on you for doing a freebie, but your reputation could be hampered by rushing the job mate.

T

TheWrightTiler

Andy,

That's a very credible thing to do, good on you :thumbsup:.
With regards to a full tile off the bath, I tend to check a couple of points before I start.....

1. Find the lowest point of the bath and start the full tile from there. It looks a lot better to have nibbled the tiles so that the appearance of a full tile is all the way around the bath rather than unsightly slithers.

2. Mark your start point with regards to the rest of the room so that you can carry a full tile around the corners without leaving horrible slithers at the door architrave or other corners / features.

Your pictures do not necessarily show the full room layout or other issues that you had to overcome, but from what I can see you could have set the room out much more professionally had you applied a bit more thought.

Good on you for doing a freebie, but your reputation could be hampered by rushing the job mate.

valid points capn but this is how the wifey wanted it, centred on back wall and full tile from door to corner near bath wall, 4 tiles filled the other wall so no probs there, wasnt my choice to set out this way done what the woman wanted lol

T

TheWrightTiler

Okay, pic number 2 has a 10mm slither above the bath, if you had dropped the tile to loose the slither, would that have not eliminated the 10mm above the door?

As I said previously, I can only go by the pics, I wasn't there

good eyes capn but this slither is actually a filler strip from the end of the bath to the wall as the joiner didnt box it in high enough and the bath was 30mm shorter than the older one leaving a gap from bath to wall that had to be filled, the tile above this is actually the first full tile which runs round the rest of the wall

looked from above it like a mini shelf just over an inch wide lol

Reply to softy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hello I wonder if anyone has of the attached tiles I could buy from them or something that is a...
Replies
Views
Lilygrace
L
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
softy
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.