Guest viewing is limited
  • Thread starter TheWrightTiler
  • Start date
  • Replies 28
  • Views 3K
  • Tags
    usa

Discuss softy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

Andy - you big softie!
Although well intentioned and I for one applaud your social awareness, the thread would have been better without the photos! Only you know the condition of the room prior to tiling and as you stated 'its not one of your better jobs'.
I reserve judgement on the tiling but award you the TJ good deed of the month award for community spirit - well done young man!:smilewinkgrin:

O

Olz

Mate, I think its great that you did a freebie for the old dear, and to be perfectly honest, and at the risk of being contreversial, I very much doubt that she gives a monkeys about setting out, and doing a freebie for an old dear will score you much more reputation points than a bit of iffy setting out.

I doubt that the social worker is going round saying you didnt set out perfectly, I doubt she has even noticed, and realistically how many prospective customers who hear about your good dead are actually going to go round and inspect your work before speaking to you...... probably zero.

But I bet she has told countless people that you did the good turn.

Good on you mate for taking your two and a half days unpaid, I fore one would buy you a pint if you were ever down my neck of the woods.

:8:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Andy,

That's a very credible thing to do, good on you :thumbsup:.
With regards to a full tile off the bath, I tend to check a couple of points before I start.....

1. Find the lowest point of the bath and start the full tile from there. It looks a lot better to have nibbled the tiles so that the appearance of a full tile is all the way around the bath rather than unsightly slithers.

2. Mark your start point with regards to the rest of the room so that you can carry a full tile around the corners without leaving horrible slithers at the door architrave or other corners / features.

Your pictures do not necessarily show the full room layout or other issues that you had to overcome, but from what I can see you could have set the room out much more professionally had you applied a bit more thought.

Good on you for doing a freebie, but your reputation could be hampered by rushing the job mate.

I totally agree.

Andy. You know this mate. Stick to it.

M

mikebidd

Think thats lovely for you too do mate.

The wifes a carer and she gets allocated 20 mins 4 times a day at elderly peoples houses. Alot off them have family that dont bother at all an they sit in lonley by them selfs which i think makes them worse. But when they eventually die the family all rush round for the will like voltures.

Even when there in hospital dieing the family dont come and the wife sits there with them. She does get too attached.
The wife is alot like you and will put her self out she goes in her own time (what little she has) and takes them out for the day or shopping or one 93 year old likes a macdonalds now and then.

She doesnt get anything out off it But because shes done it a few times they sort off expect it now. So where as she used too get 2 days off a week she now gets none really she also used to be a hairdresser so she does most off there hair FOC as well.

She is a good person for doing it but its now expected rather then appreciated.

W

why tile

Mate, I think its great that you did a freebie for the old dear, and to be perfectly honest, and at the risk of being contreversial, I very much doubt that she gives a monkeys about setting out, and doing a freebie for an old dear will score you much more reputation points than a bit of iffy setting out.

I doubt that the social worker is going round saying you didnt set out perfectly, I doubt she has even noticed, and realistically how many prospective customers who hear about your good dead are actually going to go round and inspect your work before speaking to you...... probably zero.

But I bet she has told countless people that you did the good turn.

Good on you mate for taking your two and a half days unpaid, I fore one would buy you a pint if you were ever down my neck of the woods.

:8:

i totally agree with you mate, i think the fact that this bloke decided he would help this lady out in his own time for free deserves a medal . fair play to you son. i dont think the state of the tiling (good or bad) dosent come into it.

its a shame a few others on here cant put there greed aside and do a good deed for someone in there comunity.

hat off to you fella:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

W

White Room

i totally agree with you mate, i think the fact that this bloke decided he would help this lady out in his own time for free deserves a medal . fair play to you son. i dont think the state of the tiling (good or bad) dosent come into it.

its a shame a few others on here cant put there greed aside and do a good deed for someone in there comunity.

hat off to you fella:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What does that comment actually mean and what are you implying

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I agree with Mikebidd in some sense but I do think it's perfect practice to do free jobs.

And I don't agree with the greed thing. It's getting tough right now and it could get a lot tougher. We need to horde all the cash we can get, and not with banks either! Under the pillow has better interest rates. (Buying BP shares has more IMO).

I had "mates rates" and that's as low as I could go, and I'd NOT book them in but get everything ready at their home and call them on a whim when I'd just been let down. Payment at the end mind, or in stages if they're a bit hard out. They should have you to help you out at your normal price and be happy it'll be done correctly if they're real friends and know your good. So doing it half price and passing on trade discount will be cheaper than anything they can get, and still helps you out. So win:win. Free jobs are win:loose unless they have something to give back, or like in this situation, you're doing a good deed for the sake of a good deed. I'd only do one a year though! Else it risks your own business and that then risks even your friends jobs if you sell your tools. And you need to look after those. ;)

Reply to softy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hello I wonder if anyone has of the attached tiles I could buy from them or something that is a...
Replies
Views
Lilygrace
L
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
softy
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.