Discuss solid floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all

I'm just about to do a wetroom with a solid floor. The drain has been dug out by the plumber and made level with the floor. I've built up the floor around the shower floor with cement boards to bring up the hight so there's a fall to the drain. I have a few questions.

1. What is the best way to create the fall for the drain prior to tiling? should i use an slc but mixed very thick and just trowel it to a fall? (the tiles are mosaics)

2. Do i tank before or after creating the fall with slc?

3. The mosaics cover the floor in the rest of the room aswell, which would you tile first? The shower or the rest of the room?

Cheers for responses

Hi mate not sure without pics, slc does not lend its self to formiing falls well , it can be done. Could you not preform falls using backer-boards enveloped to create desired falls. Am I missing something pics would help:thumbsup:

your not missing anything, i've not got any pics but the backer board option sound good or i'll form the fall using a fast set like timeless said. I was thinking of using rapid set but wasnt sure if it was right or if i should have tanked before or after. cheers guys

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi mate if you go with TJs rapid set (which is sound) as he says tank afterwards, my suggestion depends on how much depth you have to play with, you could solid bed fix the backer- boards using envelope method with WP rapid set, then tank. Both good ways of overcoming your problem. Before the advent of pre-formed trays I used enveloped backer-boards with very good results. Just make sure you use the water proof tape on the boards prior to tanking. Good luck:thumbsup:

T

tfs

You could probs use a taper cut peice of timber held under your straight edge or level to check/ help get a good fall with boards.

Same goes if you wish to create four equal falls without boards (two tapered peices of timber resting on dots of mortar) and form fall with straight edge creating one section at a time.

preformed would again be my prefference though.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Alberta Stone

You can slope self-leveler, but you need to reduce the water by just about 25% to make it hold its shape and it takes a bit of tricky trowel work.
Then you use a good thin-set to finish the rough parts.
Make sure you use bonding agent.

Let it cure to below 12% moisture content and then use a waterproofing compound.

You Europeans and "tanking"..."tank it".....cracks me up...very funny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to solid floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Preston

Thread Information

Title
solid floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.