Discuss solid wood floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tfs

As mentioned already bowing, expansion etc are unavoidable so this must be catered for during installation. Different species of timber react differently to different environments.

In my experience I believe that glueing gives the best results. Like tiles, substrate needs to be solid, overlaying chipboard is a must as the nailes will blow the chipboard and the floor will eventualy start to lift with no secure fixing. Even over tradtional flooring I preffer to sheet over.

I recently used tongue tite screws on an oak floor with reasonable results.

Tips

*remove all skirting
*undercut facings and rebate into door lining if required
*go over the floor with staright edge checking for dips etc and fill these prior to installation
*leave expansion around permiter of everything e.g. walls, radiator pipes etc
*if using fixings fix through ends of flooring aswell as side
*table saw/ chopsaw with fine blade
*in addition to using fixings I like to apply adhesive/ mastic to the underside of every plank to help eliminate any bounce occuring at a later date.
*If laying onto concrete you may need to use a DPM (chemical dpm would be my prefference)
*glue will be essential if laying onto concrete (trowel, not no nails etc)
*Spend time getting the first row right, you may need to scribe to the wall
*Get door bars to match the timber or try planing a chamfer on the edge of a plank to give you a finished edge to meet the floor (block plane or electric plane will work)
*If fitting a plank with cut edge facing external door be sure to seal the cut edge
*Set out in such a way that you wont have a silly cut when installing final row.

Wooden floor can be an easy job in a sqaure small room but like tiling guys make a career out of this so dont underestimate how complex it can be!

R

Rob Z

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
S

SandyFloor

I think I heard my name being mentioned. Aqua/Mark you're perfectly correct in it can't be that hard laying a solid wood floor .....if you know what you're doing!!! ( did you notice a bit of attitude there? :lol:)

If you think a failed tiled floor is a mess you should see a failed oak one. They frequently look like the Himalayas and can't be repaired. You know how frustrating it is when a builder fancies himself as a tiler well they sometime like to lay solid wood floors too. There are cheaper ways of buying firewood.

The major difference between solid wood and tiles is solid wood is massively affected by temperature and moisture. It cannot be laid floating by glueing tongue and groove because there needs to be movement as each row of planks expands/contracts differently as it is a natural (previously living) product with varying densities. Product acclimatisation is essential. The sub floor needs to be checked for moisture including wooden ones. Expansion needs to be taken into consideration.

What is the sub floor?

R

Rob Z

Sandy, as you mentioned, leaving an expansion gap around the perimeter is essential. A buddy of mine called me over to his job last year to check out a floor that he had subbed out to "the pros". These plonkers had installed nail-down maple T&G on an entire floor of a town house, and they cut and fit nearly every piece as tightly as possible!:yikes: I kid you not when I tell you that it sounded like a popcorn popper in that house, as the wood was creaking and moving and snapping. A total disaster.:mad2:

S

Scott the tiler

B4 becoming a tiler, wood flooring is my trade and boy have I seen some horrendous installations!!! Expansion gaps are the most important aspect of any floor. A minimum of 8 mm gap is required around everything ie. walls, rad pipes, bottom steps etc. If you are installing in a large area take the total m2 and x by 1.5 ie 80m2 x 1.5 and remove the zero (80x1.5=120-zero = 12mm) this gap is to be applied everywhere NO EXCEPTIONS.
If you are gluing solid boards directly to the floor a 3mm gap is needed every 50cm across (use stanley blades as a guide) as in a few weeks time this gap will almost disappear. Dont forget the perimeter gap too!
All cement based sub-floors must have a DPM either a plastic sheet taped together for floating floors or a liquid DPM for stick down.
Most clients ask for the floor to be continuous through all rooms but you must resist and inform them that each room has its own temp and humidity when the door is closed and this WILL affect the floor. Install matching wood threshold profiles.
The product needs to be left in the room to be installed for a min 3 days prior to installation to acclimatize.
As I stated above I have seen and had to repair some disgraceful installations and met some very upset customers over the years so take your time and remember if you are unsure always ask for advice.
My preference is oiled floors opposed to laquered.
When I lived in the UK my company was the registered installer of Junkers flooring in and around Berks and unfortunately for the clients but fortunate for us we were also recommended to rectify junkers installations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to solid wood floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
solid wood floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.