Discuss Some advice, please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Scaleyback

Hi to all, and thanks in advance to anyone that responds. My first post here and boy am I glad I found this forum.

In the near future, she that must be obeyed wants me to totally refit our bathroom. I've bought the bits & pieces and now it's time to decide on the tiles. I've measured up and it's coming in at approx 18m2 floor to ceiling, if I remove the skirting and coving. The ceiling is artexed, so she wants that reskimmed too for that nice smooth look.

As I said, I'm glad I found this forum as it never entered my head that the walls might need replacing as they wouldn't be strong enough to hold the tiles up. (They're stud partition/dot&dab plasterboard.) From reading on here, I realise I need to replace the plasterboard with Marmox or something similar, especially as I'll be installing an overbath shower.

STMBO has been searching online and has found these: Tv100 Travertine | floor tiles | wall tiles

Now, a few questions;

What's wrong with them, if anything, for them to be so cheap?

Would they be too big for such as small bathroom?

What thickness of Marmox should I use to replace the existing plasterboard? 6mm, 10mm or 20mm?

How do I fix the Marmox to the stud wall and the breeze block/thermalite block on the external walls? And at what spacings? I feel I need to add that I live in 'The House That Jack Built' and I am unaware of the stud spacings at the moment, but seeing as the plasterboard used on the walls is only 7mm thick (reading on here made me check) which is for ceiling use, they're probably every meter or so...

What would be the best way to tile? 'stacked' vertically or a brickwork effect?

Anyone know any good tilers in South Wales that could come round and discuss my needs? Or would someone be prepared to travel?

Well, that's enough to give me a starting point, but I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before I make a start.

D

DHTiling

Hi to all, and thanks in advance to anyone that responds. My first post here and boy am I glad I found this forum.

In the near future, she that must be obeyed wants me to totally refit our bathroom. I've bought the bits & pieces and now it's time to decide on the tiles. I've measured up and it's coming in at approx 18m2 floor to ceiling, if I remove the skirting and coving. The ceiling is artexed, so she wants that reskimmed too for that nice smooth look.

As I said, I'm glad I found this forum as it never entered my head that the walls might need replacing as they wouldn't be strong enough to hold the tiles up. (They're stud partition/dot&dab plasterboard.) From reading on here, I realise I need to replace the plasterboard with Marmox or something similar, especially as I'll be installing an overbath shower.

STMBO has been searching online and has found these: Tv100 Travertine | floor tiles | wall tiles

Now, a few questions;

What's wrong with them, if anything, for them to be so cheap?

You cannot get good quality stone for that price..

Would they be too big for such as small bathroom?

IMO No they will be fine

What thickness of Marmox should I use to replace the existing plasterboard? 6mm, 10mm or 20mm?

10mm Minimum

How do I fix the Marmox to the stud wall and the breeze block/thermalite block on the external walls? And at what spacings? I feel I need to add that I live in 'The House That Jack Built' and I am unaware of the stud spacings at the moment, but seeing as the plasterboard used on the walls is only 7mm thick (reading on here made me check) which is for ceiling use, they're probably every meter or so...

You can buy special washer and screws for attaching to stud work.. instructions are on the marmox site.. solid bed them onto block walls unless you are using 12 and above board thickness.

What would be the best way to tile? 'stacked' vertically or a brickwork effect?

You need to stagger the joints... always

Anyone know any good tilers in South Wales that could come round and discuss my needs? Or would someone be prepared to travel?

Place a thread in the I'm looking for a tilers section on the home page..

Well, that's enough to give me a starting point, but I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before I make a start.

Hope that helps.. :)

M

Mike

Thanks, Dave. I guess at that price, they had to be too good to be true.

I'm struggling to sleep tonight so I've been browsing and come across this: Sealux Seals - Professional Shower Tray & Bath Seal

Has anyone used it or similar? If so, your thoughts? In principle, it seems like a good idea but what do you guys think?
welcome to the forum, i don't use them trims due to many failures i've repaired (not fitted by me) many others on here will tell you the same. after your bath/shower tray is fitted either silicon or waterproof joint tape the top edge to the wall, then after tiling (leaving a 2mm gap) apply a bead of silicon. this will give you a double seal.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Some advice, please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice! I'm re-tiling my shower after needing to rip...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Some advice, please?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.