UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Sometimes you just have to let a job go. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Just been to look at a bathroom floor the customer wanted slate to an area of 4m2,the whole house is ofwhite carpet,the bathroom floor is chipboard so needs over boarding,the pan and pedestal basin has a boxing in which is all tiled around so cannot be raised with out removing wall tiles,bath panel is fixed and the door will need cutting the customer wants me to do all the work from removing and cutting every thing and fitting back theres no way it can be done in the house so any cutting will have to be done outside and that alone is a big trek from the bathroom to the garden ,I expect some of you chaps have come across this situation before,so for 4m2 thought I would give it a miss so told him to go for amtico.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
afright, that's why I put myself on a plumbing course a couple of years ago. I also cut down doors. I also overboard. I also have to cut outside (sometimes). I also have to climb up/down 3 flights of stairs with boxes of tiles & cut tiles. I missed out on a few jobs in the past when the customer wanted more than a tiler. I know years ago a tiler just tiled, but these days are tough and we sometimes have to offer more than just tiling. My car is sometime crammed so much with tiling/plumbing/carpentry tools that I don't have enough room for my sandwiches! Cheers Sean

J

jonnyc

I think there are times when we all go to see jobs that are not what we expect or out of the norm.
i think the most important thing is to evaluate whether you can do all what the client wants even if it requires more than just tiling .even if you can't you may have a mate that has the other required skills.
If you could hear some of the stories I hear about jobs in London.where you have to go 5 floors down to cut a tile and can't use lift!!
but these guys do it but they cost it accordingly.
they have to.
I recently did a glacier stone wall in a foyer off Leicester square .it was weekend work only and I don't normally do this kind of work.i did as a favour to the stone company as I know owners and builder had no one who would take it on. Charged big money and builder didn't bat an eyelid. Difficult jobs can be quite rewarding sometimes but need more t nought about costing

afright, that's why I put myself on a plumbing course a couple of years ago. I also cut down doors. I also overboard. I also have to cut outside (sometimes). I also have to climb up/down 3 flights of stairs with boxes of tiles & cut tiles. I missed out on a few jobs in the past when the customer wanted more than a tiler. I know years ago a tiler just tiled, but these days are tough and we sometimes have to offer more than just tiling. My car is sometime crammed so much with tiling/plumbing/carpentry tools that I don't have enough room for my sandwiches! Cheers Sean
The job was to small for all the hassle I had other work on which was a lot easier to do I did not want to get involved in something so small ,trying to match the wall tiles would have been a mission on its own.My gut feeling told me to walk away,don't get me wrong I do not like turning work down,you cant tell me that you have never been on a job and have thought, why did I start this,Being just a tiler I did not want to get involved doing other trade's work I know little about ,I know enough carpentry and plumbing to work on my own house but I would never tackle those trades on some one else's home.If the job was bigger then I would have got the other trades in and would have made a few bob but for 4m2 no I don't think so.

Last edited:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I think a lot of these are bread and butter work. Just price it accordingly, time, convinience, location etc in the same way you'd incorporate extra fuel costs if the job was a bit of a distance from home.
Certainly bump your price up a little if your busy. If you can afford to loose a quote/job and not be sat at home watching Jezza and twiddling thumbs. You never know, a small job that's a bit of a pain could turn into something really profitable. Or, the cost of working around other inconviniences may sway your potential customer into a complete re-tile or investing more into their project.

I don't think the customer wanted to pay to much when I told him it would cost and explained what it involved I think he had no idea,my work has not suffered thru not accepting this job,as I said the job was to small,maybe some of you would have taken it on,but I did not want the hassle, getting a bit old now just like to pick and choose my jobs I've done all that hard graft in my early years.

Surrey
You never know, a small job that's a bit of a pain could turn into something really profitable. Or, the cost of working around other inconviniences may sway your potential customer into a complete re-tile or investing more into their project.

It can be tempting to turn away PITA jobs but they can also lead to better things, I had an enquiry once from a lady who wanted somebody to do a few odd little jobs, I never really fancied it but decided to 'help her out' - turned out she owned several properties and I refurbed two of them, new windows, roof the lot, also built a single storey extension for the son, an extension for the lady herself when she moved and a two storey extension for the daughter!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Sometimes you just have to let a job go. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hello, we have recently had some carpet fitters in who have done a great job but have...
Replies
Views
We had our kitchen tiled last week and we're not at all happy with the work. The tiles aren't...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.