Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Sos! in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

Nicky G

You can grind off the adhesive, very dusty time consuming job.
That's ok. As long as they're salvageable I'll get stuck in. All I can taste is dust so a wee bit more won't make a lot of difference

Hardboard is definitely not a tiling substrate.
I wondered that as he laid them on Friday & they were fairly easy to lift today. They just took the top coating layer of the board off with them

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nicky G

This job just gets worse and worse, the pictures to any half decent tradesman made horrible viewing and the "tiler" now has the nerve to come chasing his money. Hope someone can get this sorted for you.
Thanks @Rich Midge, appreciate the support. I'm glad it's not me just being 'picky', which was how he described me when I mentioned my concern about his cuts, etc. He said that mastic would hide all that

S

SJPurdy

All I can taste is dust so a wee bit more won't make a lot of difference
If you are going to do it please wear a good dust mask. And eye, etc. etc. protection.
It will be time consuming, dirty and you may chip break a few tiles. 2.5 m2 new tiles at £50/m2 will cost £125!

The floor overlay top layer looks like it is unsuitable and so may be the lower layer so check it carefully (post pics if unsure and someone will advise what to look/check for).

K

Kevbos

Hi, hello to everyone in the forum! I'm Nicky & I'm currently having my bathroom renovated. I've been so excited about this but now I'm worried that the tiling hasn't gone as well as I'd hoped. The tiler said the job would be completed in 2.5 - 3 days ... He started on Wednesday morning & still hasn't finished tiling or done any grouting. Six tiles have called off & he said he'd be here yesterday but didn't turn up & hasn't returned my messages or calls.

I'm concerned the internal joints where the shower will be, have not been done properly. Also, on the main wall, he cut tiles at either end are of completely different sizes. It just doesn't look right.

I'm worried about what to do next & I don't know which way to turn. I've got 2 little children returning home tonight from spending the weekend at their Dad's & we have no bathroom.

Would really appreciate some opinions on whether I should go ahead & try to grout it myself or take it down & get someone to start again.

Thank you x
I'd say don't pay him. If primer not used and tiles falling off already. Just bite lip and do it again unfortunately. You bought tub adhesive which I never use. Cuts are poor. But realistically your never be happy now until it's done properly. I'm sure many on here can help. I'd be happy to also. But whatever you decide. Don't pay him
Hardboard is definitely not a tiling substrate.
If you keep posting we can talk you through the whole job. Lol.

N

Nicky G

If you are going to do it please wear a good dust mask. And eye, etc. etc. protection.
It will be time consuming, dirty and you may chip break a few tiles. 2.5 m2 new tiles at £50/m2 will cost £125!

The floor overlay top layer looks like it is unsuitable and so may be the lower layer so check it carefully (post pics if unsure and someone will advise what to look/check for).
You are so thoughtful, thank you @SJPurdy I've got a dust mask & some goggles somewhere from my previous decorating exploits on the downstairs (Jeez but I hate decorating ! I bought this house as a project & didn't realise just how big a project it'd turn out to be... Homes under the hammer has a lot to answer for )

Reply to Sos! in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I’m after a bit of advice. I’ve just removed the floor tiles in our on suite. After...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond