Discuss Spiked roller or not ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Protilers

I think these are useful with them being 600mm wide ... so you get a more even pull on the slc than say a lot smaller rake..
I agree......but I honestly think you would be better off "modifing a broom" (remove all the bristles)......with six inch nails (or a plastic garden rake for electric underfloor)........flood the floor with SLC......put on your gardening boots on and RAKE............the nails/rake will pull the SLC about........and it will be flatter that using a fixed depth system IMO.......

as you will be using the natural verlocity of fluids..........

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I think I posted in another thread about the spiked rollers, I wasn't impressed. But if you try my method ie. forming bays and flooding. I use Levelflex or Mapei renovation screed, a word of warning, make sure you fill all old services.

Don't make the mistake I made the other day, I thought I had filled all the holes in this 1st floor bathroom with foam and compo, as I came to my last pour I heard a shout from the ground floor "hey Phil are you leveling two floors at once?" I had missed one hole partially hidden under the plasterboard, my slc was flowing to the living room below.As luck had it this is a raw building site, so no damage done, glad it wasn't a new cream carpet below,:yikes:

P

Protilers

I could never see how these trowels worked as they put no key onto the floor, yes you got the floors flat, but there are no teeth to bite the adhesive into the floor, quality leveling compounds seem to key themselves in.

you should always use the flat side of the trowel to "butter!" the floor, then the tile..........then (with the notched side.. apply adhesive to the floor!) .......thats how they are supposed to work...
(but there are much better methods today!).....

Lee

P

Protilers

I think I posted in another thread about the spiked rollers, I wasn't impressed. But if you try my method ie. forming bays and flooding. I use Levelflex or Mapei renovation screed, a word of warning, make sure you fill all old services.

Don't make the mistake I made the other day, I thought I had filled all the holes in this 1st floor bathroom with foam and compo, as I came to my last pour I heard a shout from the ground floor "hey Phil are you leveling two floors at once?" I had missed one hole partially hidden under the plasterboard, my slc was flowing to the living room below.As luck had it this is a raw building site, so no damage done, glad it wasn't a new cream carpet below,:yikes:
it does happen Phil.......like hitting pipes TBH!

all the best

Lee

B

bugs183

you should always use the flat side of the trowel to "butter!" the floor, then the tile..........then (with the notched side.. apply adhesive to the floor!) .......thats how they are supposed to work...
(but there are much better methods today!).....

Lee

That would make perfect sense Pro!
My old man swore by these trowels and his floors never came up, i can't remember using any myself as most of the time in my teens/early twenties i was hungover at work and round notched trowels had been Introduced by then!!

P

Protilers

That would make perfect sense Pro!
My old man swore by these trowels and his floors never came up, i can't remember using any myself as most of the time in my teens/early twenties i was hungover at work and round notched trowels had been Introduced by then!!

and I think you are calling me OLD........in a roundabout way..........hehheehheheheheheehe

S

Stef

Been there done that Phil.

Poured a bathroom floor & missed a gap & watched the slc disappear heading for the kitchen ceiling.
Luckily there was some glass wool lying & used that to plug the gap.

D

David - Tradetiler

In answer to your question, give the roller a go, it might make a difference to your SLC finish. I bought one a few months ago and I think it has made my finish better. Obviously it gets rid of air bubbles, but I think it also contributes to the flow of the SLC as well

Quite right,

Spiked rollers not only get rid of air bubbles (which can show through soft flooring finishes, not so important for tiling) but most usefully break the surface tension of the SLC allowing it to flow out like it's mixed much thinner. It doesn't make much difference where the SLC is thinly feathered at the edges but works well above a few millimetres deep. You really want to use a roller with a reasonable spike length too, around 20mm or more, you don't want the SLC totally saturating the spikes and swamping the whole roller.

http://www.tradetiler.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=spiked+roller

Last edited by a moderator:
O

On one

Been there done that Phil.

Poured a bathroom floor & missed a gap & watched the slc disappear heading for the kitchen ceiling.
Luckily there was some glass wool lying & used that to plug the gap.
Me too!.....through a gap in the floor.....into the ceiling void, out of the downlighters and onto the tiled kitchen floor....and tidied up before the customer got home...phew!!!

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

i use a pin-leveler quite a lot from Refina and have done for a long time , but i use it on modified screeds and not SLC pour's , do anyone of you know where to get them buckets on wheels that have a tipping mechanism so you can wheel them about and pour from them ,someone posted a great picture a while back ,and i never got to the bottom of it them ???. thanks if you do know .....

S

Spud

i use a pin-leveler quite a lot from Refina and have done for a long time , but i use it on modified screeds and not SLC pour's , do anyone of you know where to get them buckets on wheels that have a tipping mechanism so you can wheel them about and pour from them ,someone posted a great picture a while back ,and i never got to the bottom of it them ???. thanks if you do know .....
trimline have one at the moment Dave its taking up a lot of space in their trade counter i sure you could get it for a cheeky offer

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Norfolk
Hi , I seem to be doing something wrong when I self level floors, they never are flat after I have used self leveller ? I recently self levelled over a chip board floor that had old adhesive stuck too it then over boarded with cement board and still had too build the tiles up with adhesive to make the floor flat? I used the correct slc and mixed it to the manufacturers instructions. Would a spiked roller help with the slc process? :smilewinkgrin:
Little tip don't try doing it in one go apply a thin coat use two even three let it cure fully between coats, you may need to apply a primer between coats depending on the product used and especially over ufh rushing your prep effects the project finish.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Spiked roller or not ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Hi all! So I got to a job yesterday downstairs wetroom floor with mains underfloor heating...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB